My Course and Course Category breadcrumbs not working?

My Course and Course Category breadcrumbs not working?

by Bob Gilmore -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

HI folks,

Moodle 3.3.1 on Clean, Boost and other themes.

I'm having issues with the My Courses breadcrumb link not working.

Both of the courses in the above nav are in the same category. One I'm a teacher on, the other I am not. As you can see the My Courses isn't a hyperlink, while Courses is.

I'm also experiencing problems with the course categories links, for example when editing a Competency:

There's no Back or close button on the competency screen, so this one is frustrating and requires the use of the browsers back button

I've not found this listed anywhere in the tracker, but I have seen issues with the breadcrumbs that this has been a behaviour since at least 2.2. Can this be corrected so that all the breadcrumbs are links? Is this intended behaviour? Or is this something I should log as a bug?

Thanks for your help or advice!

Cheers!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bob Gilmore

Re: My Course and Course Category breadcrumbs not working?

by Mike Verna -

Wondering if you ever got this resloved.

I am having the same issue on 3.3.1, this is a clean install, I am using the "Boost" theme.

In reply to Mike Verna

by Devadas das -

Yes, same on the v3.4... with any theme (Boost, eGuru, Adaptable, Academi...)

In reply to Mike Verna

by Diane Soini -

I just installed moodle 3.5 and see the same issue. The file /lib/navigationlib.php, line 1228:

$this->rootnodes['mycourses'] = $this->add(get_string('mycourses'), null, self::TYPE_ROOTNODE, null, 'mycourses', new pix_icon('i/course', ''));

The null there that I've bolded needs to have a url instead of null. The next line for 'courses' has the url parameter set so that's why it has a link but mycourses does not. If you want to fix it, replace null with new moodle_url('/my/')

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mike Verna

by Bob Gilmore -

I just revisited this issue today and found a fix buried away in the settings.

Site admin > Appearance > Navigation

In reply to Bob Gilmore

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

No matter what I try there is still dead text in the breadcrumbs.  Most annoying is the

home / my courses / coursename  where my courses does absolutely nothing but take up space on the screen. 

I think I will put the normal code in for general use and just remove it on our site.  

Checked or unchecked I still see My Courses in my breadcrumbs. 

In reply to Chris Kenniburg

by Bob Gilmore -

That's odd. We're using the most recently available version on Fordson (3.3) on Moodle 3.5 and with that setting on, we're absolutely seeing all the links as shown below with my courses > JavaScript in the nav drawer and the full path in the breadcrumbs:

I wonder if there's more to it than just one setting?

You could alo try tweaking Fordson to do what Diane suggested above: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=356398#p1498233

In reply to Bob Gilmore

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Confirmed, but only working well in Fordson now. Plain Boost shows "My courses" in the breadcrumbs regardless of how you've got navshowmycoursecategories set.

Older versions of Moodle were smart enough to skip categories that were hidden (while the courses themselves sitting in them are not). I wonder if this could be achieved / restored if only in Fordson. Right now clicking on a hidden category name in the nav path breadcrumbs bring up the attached error.

Attachment 2018-08-01 , 18_16_20 - Error - Google Chrome.png
In reply to Bob Gilmore

by Dan Jeffries -

Yes, same here too.

It's really frustrating. And it happens with the Admin links too, in the Site Admin pages. Makes moving around the admin options incredibly frustrating!

Hope there's a fix soon. Has a bug been reported?

In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
When you say "It happens with Admin links too, in the Site admin pages", do you have Link admin categories ticked (enabled) in Site admin>Appearance>Navigation?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Melanie Scott -

I've been hissing about this for weeks.  THANK YOU!

In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Mohit Gupta -

I am facing the same issue on 3.3.1 version, Hope it will fix.