Why our screens make us less happy?

Re: Why our screens make us less happy?

by Melissa . -
Number of replies: 0

Moodle is perfect for creating stopping queues.  I am currently working on making lesson plans.  Instead of the week and topic blocks (which I personally hate), I create day blocks (one for each lesson day).  Inside that block I have some video blocks, which are 30 minutes each (set by the company that makes the video, not me).  For any of the other blocks, I try to make the activity take 15 minutes, but no more than 30 minutes.  The limit for any day is 45 minutes (time for a regular learning class at the middle school level).

That is your stopping queue.  A person does an item that is 15 or 30 minutes, and they click on the item to say that they have done it.

I think that if a course is setup by topics or weeks it would be harder to put in those stopping queue unless you use some other type of visual indication (horizontal lines, labels, etc.).

You could also add events that have nothing to do with the lesson -- "Have lunch with a friend and talk about this week's poem of the week."

Ooops ... I thought that  Visvanath was seriously asking about how to to balance Moodle with limiting the student's screen time, especially when the students are children.  I forget that most of Moodle's "students" are adults and not children, since I only teach children.  I will still leave my post  in case it is useful to other people.

Melissa

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)