High school teacher wanting to use Moodle...

High school teacher wanting to use Moodle...

by Louis Bouchard -
Number of replies: 3

Dear everyone,

My question is as followed : I would like to use Moodle with my high school students the same way I used to use Edmodo with them. Is it possible to download Moodle and just use it on my own or is it only accessible to university teachers who have it provided by the school administration ?

Thank you very much for your help.

Kind regards,

Louis

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Louis Bouchard

Re: High school teacher wanting to use Moodle...

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Louis. You can download   Moodle but it requires some technical knowledge to install it on a server (which you may or may not have) but if you want a quick free  way to try it out -and then if you like it - a cheap way to use it more -then we have a free service MoodleCloud (sign up here) which sets up Moodle for you instantly and you can have up to 50 students. You can keep the site for ever, for free - but you do need to log in at least every three months. If you like it and want more students you can pay extra for more features and more students. I suggest you try the free site with a class and see what you think. More information on MoodleCloud is here.

If you're looking for ideas then look at our School demo site, Mount Orange, which is a demonstration K-12 site with courses in various subjects.

I'll move your post to the General help forum since we're not talking about installing or upgrading.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Louis Bouchard -

Hello Ms. Cooch,

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I will try the option you suggested this evening. It sounds promising. I am not quite tech savvy and would not no how to properly install Moodle I think...  

Would you happen to know what is the total uploading capacity ? What is the biggest single size I could upload

Thank you !

Kind regards,

Louis

In reply to Louis Bouchard

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you look again at the MoodleCloud details you'll see the maximum file storage for  each package deal. You might think these upload sizes are quite low, but the idea is that rather than filling the server with lots of uploaded files, you either use externally hosted files - Moodle connects with Google drive, Microsoft Onedrive, Dropbox, for example , and then you can add as much as you like - with videos embedded from Youtube - and/or instead of using uploaded (for instance) static powerpoints, you make use of Moodle's own actitivities and features. There is no limit to the number of those you can use. You can add your powerpoint content to Moodle Pages or Books if you really need to, or engage students in more interactive learning - of which there are no restrictions.

Here is a playlist of Teaching with Moodle videos