Android 4.4.4 + Moodle 3.3.1 + Moodle Mobile App = Disaster

Android 4.4.4 + Moodle 3.3.1 + Moodle Mobile App = Disaster

by Mary Evans -
Number of replies: 18
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I am not quite sure what is happening or what I am expected to do.
But no matter what I try I just cannot get the App to engage with my Moodle site!

Can someone kindly explain what I need to do. I have checked my SSL Certificate and no warnings that I could see. I got green ticks in one URL and an "A" grade in another more stringent test. 

I found the Moodle docs a bit vague and in some ways assuming, as though they have been written by a programmer who has never encountered the degree of failure that many Moodle Admins have.

Thanks

Mary

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Evans

Re: Android 4.4.4 + Moodle 3.3.1 + Moodle Mobile App = Disaster

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. Sorry I can't help connecting your site but while waiting for a mobile app expert to come along, can  I just check it is these particular pages of the docs: Moodle Mobile guide for admins and/or Moodle Mobile FAQ that you find a bit vague - because we could perhaps try to improve them a bit. (Or perhaps when you get your site connected, you could make it clearer too?) 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Mary,

Yes it is in someways, but then I think it is the style of the docs that make things very wordy in places and very vague in others. Also there are so many different verions of Docs, and that in itself can be very confusing, as you can be reading from a 2.8 Moodle Doc and  be trying to adjust your 3.3 Moodle site and wondering why you can't find the settings you need to change, and at the same time be totally unaware that there is a tiny menu at the top of the page where you can choose a Moode Doc version for the veriocn of Moodle that you are using. I did that last night and again today, and I have been around Moodle for nearly 10 years!

I've been editing one earlier to help others in a part of the Moodle App Doc to do with the customisation usinga CSS stylesheet.

The main reason I am trying to learn how the Moodle App works is so that I can pass on the knowledge of how to go about extending the App to use the styles from user's site theme.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Mary,

please send us your Moodle URL and a test account to mobile@moodle.com so we can take a look.

Kind regards,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Mary - re this comment Also there are so many different verions of Docs, and that in itself can be very confusing, as you can be reading from a 2.8 Moodle Doc and  be trying to adjust your 3.3 Moodle site and wondering why you can't find the settings you need to change, 

a few pointers:

• if you are inside your Moodle site then when you click Moodle docs for this page at the bottom of a page you have admin/teacher rights in, then it will always  link to the appropriate version for your own site
  • If you google Moodle documentation then always look at the URL it gives and remove the number in it. Google can't keep up with Moodle docs but if you remove the number (which refers to the version of Moodle) then you will always get the latest version. For example https://docs.moodle.org/28/en/Standard_themes is obviously 2.8 docs since it has 2.8 in it. But if you remove that 28 and click https://docs.moodle.org/en/Standard_themes then you will always be directed to the latest version - currently 3.3.
  • When adding docs links to our help forums here, if you just type the docs page name with square brackets then it will again link to the most up to date version: -Standard themes

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Evans -

Hi Mary,

Sorry I lost track of these last two posts by yourself and Dani.

Yes I know the docs are listed by version but even so I always refer to the version of Moodle I am using which in my case is Moodle 3,3. So I choose that from the page menu at the top of the Doc.

And yes I know how to link to standard doc types, however in themes many of the theme docs are under the developer category and do not link automatically, at least not when I have tried to link to one. Perhaps this has changed since I last tried? So just testing this Doc for mobile themes. If it works then I have learned something new!

Moodle Mobile Themes

This is the link it should take you to. Notice the 'dev' in the link.

https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_Mobile_Themes

Cheers and thanks

Mary

In reply to Dani Palou

by Mary Evans -

Sorry Dani I did not see your post. I have got the App working now, I can't remember what I had done wrong but I managed to figure it out eventually and its working OK.

All I need now is to find a way to restyle it. I really need a list of CSS selector classes so that I can customise it in the stylesheet I am linking to from the App.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Mary,

glad to hear it works now.

Unfortunately we don't have a list of CSS selectors, but maybe this presentation can help you:

https://www.slideshare.net/DaniPalouSala/creating-moodle-mobile-remote-themes-moodle-moot-us-2016

We try to use Ionic classes as much as possible, so the Ionic v1 documentation might help you too.

Kind regards,

Dani

In reply to Dani Palou

by Edmund Evangelista -

Dear Dani,

I've got somewhat related issue. 

Previously, our Moodle Mobile is able to authenticate from embedded browser and brings you back to the mobile app after successful authentication via SSO. However, as of now it stays only on the embedded browser even after successful authentication. Our Moodle version is 3.1 and the local plugin is updated and matches with our Moodle version. What's wrong why it is unable to redirect back to the mobile app? I have enabled all the necessary web services related to mobile app anyway. One thing more, the same Moodle instance is running in another server and it works fine with mobile app, it is able to redirect back to the app after successful SSO authentication. I sent to you already an email of our Moodle URL, and I tested our SSL and it worked perfectly fine.

photo

photo

In reply to Edmund Evangelista

by Edmund Evangelista -

Also, when I checked the logs, I received a lot of "Web service authentication failed with code: "invalid_token"." site errors as shown below. 

photo

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Edmund,

I've been talking about this issue with Dani and we think that we'd need a test user account in your system to be able to check what is happening. If you can do that, please send the credentials to mobile@moodle.com referencing this forum message in the email body.

Regards, Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Edmund Evangelista -

Hi Juan,

I sent an email yesterday and today at mobile@moodle.com with user credentials to test at your side. Please give me feedback. Thanks a lot.

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Edmun,

we checked your site and we noticed that the problem is located at server side. The CAS plugin is not doing correctly the browser redirection to launch the app, the overall problem is described in this FAQ:

https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/Moodle_Mobile_FAQ#SSO_is_not_working_with_my_custom_auth_plugin

Before the app stopped working did you do changes in the Moodle server or CAS server?

Are you using the standard Moodle CAS auth plugin?

Could you compare the CAS settings between the two installations (I understand that one using CAS it is working)

Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Edmund Evangelista -

Hi Juan the CAS authentication is located in another server. This is our official single sign on for all applications. In fact the other Moodle of ours that is running properly is authenticated using the same CAS server. Please try also our other Moodle which works fine at mdltest.gust.edu.kw using the same login credentials I emailed to you.

by Juan Leyva -

Hi,

yes, the other site works as expected because it is doing the redirection mentioned in the FAQ I linked.

I noticed that in the site that is not working, the CAS request done:

https://xx.xx.xx.xx:8443/cas/login?service=https%3A%2F%2Fmygust.gust.edu.kw%2Flogin%2Findex.php&gateway=true

comes with and additional gateway parameter that is not present in the CAS request done by the site that is working.

As I said in my previous message, you should double check the CAS settings because the problem is located at the Moodle server:

- Check that both sites are using the same version of the Moodle auth/cas/ plugin

- Check that both Moodle sites CAS settings are the same

- In your CAS server I don't know if you have additional settings for the Moodle sites, check them if so.

Juan

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Edmund Evangelista -

Thank you so much Juan, I will check on this. You helped me a lot on this.

by Edmund Evangelista -

Dear Juan,

I tried again both Moodle instances via mobile app, however I cannot seem to see the additional field "gateway=true" on the website address during the SSO authentication. How did you get this additional field when you login in the mobile app via mygust.gust.edu.kw while the other instance mdltest.gust.edu.kw do not have this additional field? When I try to login on both Moodle instances of ours, I do not see this "gateway=true" additional field. 

by Juan Leyva -

Hi Edmun,

I'm sorry I just found this issue again, have you fixed it or is still not working?

Juan