Moodle documentation: Procedure for updating documentation

Moodle documentation: Procedure for updating documentation

by Brian Mulligan -
Number of replies: 1
I recently read an article on the relative advantages of Open Source vs. commercial VLEs, where the (admittedly biased) writer suggested that poor documentation was a problem of open source systems.  As a Moodle user, this rang true with me.  I had been finding it difficult to find up-to-date documentation on specific functions in Moodle and had initially thought that it was my lack of thoroughness in searching, however on reading this, I searched further and still had difficulty finding documentation.  I think that the success of Moodle may even be compounding the problem as functionality improves quite rapidly.  For me this raises a number of questions that some of you may have answers to:

Do you believe that the documentation of Moodle is largely satisfactory/complete (and just a little hard to find)?

Should we have a more organised collaborative approach to developing Moodle documentation?  There are many non-programmers (or unwilling programmers like myself) who would be willing to contribute to such an effort.

What techniques should we use for such a collaborative process?  (I'm intrigued by the ideas of wikis, but have not had time to look at these).

I could summarise my position by the simple question: Is there something I'm missing?

Looking forward to a response.

Brian.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Brian Mulligan

Re: Moodle documentation: Procedure for updating documentation

by Brian Mulligan -
This is a very quiet discussion forum.  After suggesting that a wiki might be a good way of organising documentation, I find that I have to answer my own question.

Yes, there are some things I am missing:

(1) there is the start of a wikipedia for documentation in this course, and
(2) looking up wikipedia for Moodle, I find that there is a wikipedia for Moodle documentation.  Where at http://docs.moodle.org/  - I look forward to using it and possibly even contributing.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)