Wiki

Download prefilled Wiki

Picture of James Wardle
Download prefilled Wiki

Hi all,

I'm in the process of creating a Moodle demo site and want to include examples of activities and resources.

Is there anywhere I can download a populated wiki? I've checked on the Wiki forum listings and on Moodle.net, but can't seem to find what I am looking for (that's not the say it isn't there though!)

If anyone could help or point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

J

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: Download prefilled Wiki
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Unfortunately I think it's not possible for wikis to be exported in a similar way to say glossary entries or quiz questions. See MDL-24439 and that is possibly why you haven't found any pre-populated ones. Perhaps if you can fill your demo course with other activities you could add a simple wiki and participants could populate it themselves by contributing to it - that's the point of wikis after all smile There are some example wikis on the School demo site Mount Orange for example in the Russia in Revolution course and the Digital Literacy course but, as they are examples, again, they are just frameworks waiting for students to contribute to them.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of James Wardle

Thank you for your reply.

I had thought that might well be the case! I will look into getting participants to fill it with content.

Thanks!

paula
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hello, James.

Possible work around: 

One thing I have done is copying and pasting the html off the pages by going to the <> button in the editing text box and highlighting it all, copying and then opening the new wiki edit text box for each specific page beginning with the first page and clicking the <> and pasting in the code for that page and saving.  It's a little more labor intensive than just importing, but if you only need to do it once it's not too bad. 

cool

Picture of Melissa .

Wow, no export / import functionality to the wiki.  Well, that answers my question on if I should use this feature.  The answer is a very loud NO.

Wikis are pointless if the students don't have the ability to export and import to a mediawiki site (or other equivalent site) at a later date without having to copy and paste every single page.

I can understand not wanting to export specific user info, but that can simply be accomplished by exporting only the most recent version with the author just being the course name that export came from.

I also don't like the fact that I cannot easily make an assignment of "Create/Work on wiki page George Washington" and have it go to the appropriate wiki page by the student simply clicking the link.

This wiki activity does not work at all the way I would expect / want a wiki activity to function.

Melissa

Picture of Melissa .

How did I do that?  Or more importantly, how did Moodle do that?  I put the word George Washington inside two square brackets, and a link to moodle docs for a page called George Washington was created?  I was definitely not expect that to happen.  

I tried to repeat it in my course by putting George Washington in square brackets in a label, and it did not work.  Too bad ... that would be how I would expect things to work.

Melissa

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

On this Moodle site, if you add the square brackets around a word it will either take you to the pre-existing documentation page (for example if I add the brackets around Filters it will take you to the Moodle docs about filters. If the page hasn't been created, it will offer to create it for you. This isn't a standard filter but is one of the Filters used on the Moodle.org forums (see what I did there? wink Click there and have a read.

PS - the standard filters are indeed very useful and worth exploring.