Who can pick up moodle-atto_drawing ?

Re: Who can pick up moodle-atto_drawing ?

by Richard Oelmann -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

While the remote server may be part of the cost, its also the case that independent developers need to be able to make a living somehow smile

Many plugins are developed by (people working for) institutions or Moodle partners and are released, free, to the community. Others are made by independent developers, or people like myself in our free time, rather than as part of salaried employment. Sometimes those independent developers will feel able to release those plugins free, other times the development and ongoing support involved in a complex set of plugins (such as Poodl) means that the time and effort involved requires that the developer needs to make a charge. I think in this specific instance, the charge has come around as Poodl has grown, both in complexity and in usage, vastly increasing the development and support commitments involved - although Justin would be able to correct that impression if Im wrong.

I totally understand the fact that individual teachers, schools and other institutions sometimes find themselves in a position where they see a paid for plugin but don't want to/can't pay for it. The frustration below is not intended as a comment about those who CAN'T pay, but is something I've run up against more than once.

What frustrates me though is the times I have seen senior managers turn around and say something along the lines of 'Moodle is supposed to be free, we're not paying for plugin xyz', but then they go out and buy a similar functionality from an entirely separate commercial product, that wont - or work has to be done to enable it to - speak to Moodle! "Moodle is free, therefore we wont pay for plugins, but XYZ - well that's commercial anyway so we'll pay way more for it than we would have spent for the Moodle plugin"!

Richard

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Richard Oelmann

Re: Who can pick up moodle-atto_drawing ?

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Poodll and me got mentioned. So I thought I would speak up.

To the original question:
Atto_sketch looks good, and it uses LiterallyCanvas which we also use in Poodll. So try that out. Be sure to choose "html editor with file picker" in the response type, so that it will accept a file upload (the whiteboard image).

About Poodll and drawing.
Poodll does support drawing and uses Literally Canvas OR DrawingBoard.js. Both support saving the vector data along with the raster data. That means that the student can continue editing where they left off, when they return to the question or assignment later. ie they can use the back button etc. And they support annotating over a background image.

About Poodll and going commercial. 

I definitely see the anomaly of commercial plugins amongst free moodle and open communities like Moodle.org. Poodll went commercial because it was very time consuming, though I loved it. At a particular crossroads I had to answer the question: "Is this a hobby, or a profession?"

Moodle had gone from 1.9 to 2.x to 3.x. With lots of rewrites and late nights. And then along came smart phones and Steve Jobs decided to kill Flash, and I had to decide ...do i rewrite mostly everything to support html5, or walk away. I tested the waters and took pre-orders for Poodll3 and a good handful of Moodlers came through. And that is how it went.

Poodll and Poodll users have benefited massively from going commercial. Its never been more reliable or supported so many platforms. And the improvements are ongoing. We are working hard to make it fully accessible and to support various data privacy laws etc. And I get to do what I love full time.

But its not the road for every plugin or developer, I know that.