I'm Freaking out right now!

I'm Freaking out right now!

by DrRodney Pearson -
Number of replies: 6

I thought I was semi computer literate but as I'm trying to down load and get started using Moodle I am feeling dumb and dumber! I downloaded the latest file 3.4(dev). I extracted all the files, then I clicked on "start Moodle" it has been a total bust since then because nothing happened! I have falling down and I can't get up. I have no idea what to do. I have install hundreds of windows apps on my computer for years but this has me completely stumped! HELP!!!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to DrRodney Pearson

Re: I'm Freaking out right now!

by Matt T -

Is there a reason you are using 3.4 which is not stable? It's not ready for release and is not intended to be used aside from development and testing purposes.

You should uninstall it and try 3.3.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

^^ What he said

But remember this isn't "hundreds of Windows apps". It's actually a server application. There's a simple installer for Windows that installs all the server bits needed automagically if you just want to give it a try but that's really all it's for. To deploy it properly does need some web server admin skills - or the desire to acquire some (which isn't so bad).

In reply to Howard Miller

by DrRodney Pearson -

Yes, I need whatever will help me to make my little online certificate available for students from my laptop. I am about to try 3.3. Is that the windows installer you are referring to?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Dr Rodney -do you just want a simple site where you can award a certificate to your students? If your laptop can go on the internet and your students can go on the internet then I suggest you sign up for a MoodleCloud starter site which has a certificate feature included and all the set up and installation is done for you - you don't have to install anything on your own computer. It does cost a small amount if you want a certificate - but if you just want a simple site for teaching your students online (without a certificate) then you can get the free version. Have a look here: MoodleCloud

In reply to Mary Cooch

by DrRodney Pearson -

Wow, Mary this could be just what I need! I want to spend time on my class and not my setup. I was just about to ask if there was anyone in this community forum who could partner with me because this is all so new, I'm just provided one course and I think it's more than I can handle. This may be the answer to my issue. I'm going to start with the "free" level and go from the there. Thanks again.