Cannot move course order in new dashboard

Cannot move course order in new dashboard

by Sali Kaceli -
Number of replies: 8

We recently upgraded to the latest version of Moodle 3.3.1 and finding that one cannot move the courses listed in the dashboard i.e. move a course that is at the bottom of the page higher up in the listing. Is there a way to enable this functionality again so that faculty can order the courses as they please? 

Our environment: Moodle 3.3.1/Ubuntu 16.0.4 

If this is not the correct forum for this question, let me know. I did not see one for the dashboard/course overview. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sali Kaceli

Re: Cannot move course order in new dashboard

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I don't remember such functionality before in the Dashboard. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Sali Kaceli -

In the past (we had 3.2), you could click on Customize Dashboard as a user and then you could drag the courses up or down on the page adjusting the order. 

In reply to Sali Kaceli

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You are correct -this has gone in 3.3 but there is a tracker issue for it to come  back: MDL-58203

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Sali Kaceli -

Thank you. I have voted on the issue. It would be great if the users had that flexibility again. 

In reply to Sali Kaceli

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

Sal,

I've deleted the new one from my various client 3.3 sites for that very reason. It was a terrible change and all my clients wanted to get rid of the new one.

I either use the Course Overview on Campus block https://moodle.org/plugins/block_course_overview_campus

OR you can also install the old version of the standard block too, which works perfectly well as before - https://moodle.org/plugins/block_course_overview

Randy

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I too am a bit mystified by the new block. At a glance it looks a it prettier but I'm struggling to see what it does that's better. Unless you care about this 'progress' thing and I've never heard of anybody asking for that. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers

Howard,

I agree. I have only had people ever ask me for over a decade now to be able to order and hide the courses as they wish to, and also to be able to see which courses are completed so they could then order them off the page ;)

The MUA paid to build this plugin and obviously one of their requirements was to allow absolutely no user or administrator customization to it whatsoever, since it has none and all the already working code that was there for users to customize it themselves was deliberately removed .

Fine, if that is what they want to pay for for their users; my clients and users don't need it or want it.

However, this should never have been made the default in the system or replaced the already existing one. That was a terrible decision. 

In reply to Randy Thornton

by Sali Kaceli -

Thank you for your response Randy. It looks like we are going to stick with it for now. We were able to go into the database under the mdl_course table and set in bulk the starting and end dates for the prior courses so that they show up under the Past tab. Then we set the new start and end dates for the current courses so that they show up under the 'in progress tab'. 

However, it would still be nice to be able to move them as the faculty prefers.