Installing Moodle 3.3.1 on Windows 2012 R2, IIS 8.5, SQL Server 2016 and PHP 7.1.7

Re: Installing Moodle 3.3.1 on Windows 2012 R2, IIS 8.5, SQL Server 2016 and PHP 7.1.7

by Usman Asar -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Michael, moodle 3.3 only will work perfectly with  PHP 7.1.x, for any previous version use PHP 7.0.X

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Usman Asar

Re: Installing Moodle 3.3.1 on Windows 2012 R2, IIS 8.5, SQL Server 2016 and PHP 7.1.7

by Michael Wirth -

Hi Usman,

I am using Moodle 3.3.1. I made a typo in my post.

Best regards,

Michael

In reply to Michael Wirth

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I have a tutorial uploaded with video, you may have looked at it before HERE. Have you followed everything like mentioned in the video?

In reply to Usman Asar

by Michael Wirth -

Hi Usman,

I have watched the video again (it´s brilliant!!!) and now I am able to continue the installation. The tables are created in the database and the moodle data folder contains many folders. smile

However, when I click on "Continue" after the summary step, I am redirected to "http://xxx/user/editadvanced.php?id=2" and this page does not use CSS. I found out that some files, e.g. all.css or javascript-static.js, are generating a 404 error (I used the developer function (F12) of FireFox or IE). See also attached screenshot.

As a consequence, I am not able to finalize the installation as I am not able to define a admin password because the textbox is missing!

Any ideas why this happens and how to solve it?

Best regards,

Michael

Attachment 2017-08-01_171017.jpg

by Michael Wirth -

Hi!

I found a solution!!! big grin

The URL Rewrite in the IIS was wrongly configured.

This config generates the CSS 404 errror

Name: Moodle Rewrite 3.3.1

Pattern: ^([^\?]+?\.php)(\/.+)$

Rewrite URL: $1\?file=$2

This config does not generate the CSS 404 errror

Rewrite URL: {R:1}\?file={R:2}

Yuhuuuu!!!

Best regards,

Michael

Rewrite URL: $1\?file=$2

by Matteo Scaramuccia -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Michael,
AFAIK there's no need to use rewrite rules even in IIS, when using PHP configured via FastCGI: https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/Internet_Information_Services#Slasharguments .
That is required when you can't tune the registry in the OS: https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/Internet_Information_Services#Optional_UTF-8_file_name_fix .

HTH,
Matteo

In reply to Matteo Scaramuccia

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

That's correct. I've installed Moodle on Windows Servers going back to Windows 2003 and rewrite rules have never been necessary.