Deploying Moodle 3.3 on an IIS cluster.

Re: Deploying Moodle 3.3 on an IIS cluster.

by Usman Asar -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Joseph, how many boxes you intend to setup?

You can use NLB (Network Load Balancer) to set up multiple servers, but NLB only responds to heart beat, alternatively ARR (Application Request Routing) but what if your ARR goes down? so for a high availability environment you'll be setting up combination of ARR and NLB, keeping database on 2 boxes (master and slave configuration).

in addition, you'll be setting up DFS-R (Distributed File System - Replication) to share the moodle and moodle data folders across all servers.

any more questions, feel free to ask (keeping in mind due to some busy schedule, I will be replying with a slight delay)

In reply to Usman Asar

Re: Deploying Moodle 3.3 on an IIS cluster.

by Joe Cape -

Hi Usman, 

Thanks for getting back. The Network Load Balancer and Application Request Routing sound like they're worth looking into. I'm not responsible for designing the architecture of the new system - but I am working with the team who are so will run this by them. We will be avoiding DFS-R. We have had some problems in the past with DFS-R (specifically related to file-locking) and I have been told it is not current best practice. Though, as I say, it's not my area of expertise.

Cheers.