Moodle pages customisation

Moodle pages customisation

by bilel Benziane -
Number of replies: 4

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the question. it might be stuped, however i was asked to create an elearning website in a wierd way.

instead of including the videos and exams to thier spesific courses.

i will have to create a grid view that has differents elements (videos, courses, exams ...etc)

My  question is how to create a grid view like this (i know only the simple way of creating simple lists)

and also my way of thinking is that i have to create top categories like courses, videos, exams and each one of them has child categories. 

I have a designer working with me, he gave me a custome page developed by him including the grid view,but i realy don't know how am i supposed to call a the courses, videos or exams based on a hardcoded link from that page.

Thank you for your help.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to bilel Benziane

Re: Moodle pages customisation

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It's not stupid but... I suspect you are using Moodle with a web designer who has never seen Moodle. This is never going to end well. There is a compromise between effective design and what Moodle can do. Or, possibly to put it better, what Moodle's "view of the world" is. 

What Moodle isn't is Dreamweaver - I have seen this tension in these forums a few times.

There is an optional course format called the "grid format" (https://moodle.org/plugins/format_grid). This might get you something of the appearance you are looking for.

In reply to Howard Miller

by bilel Benziane -
Thank you for your help Sir, i hope this plugin allows me to make grid view of categories too.
What about the categories, do you have any suggestions.?
In reply to bilel Benziane

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Categories don't have a great deal of functionality in Moodle. 

What you do have is a text box that will be displayed on the category page. You can put what you like in there. That can contain images that link to other categories and courses. BUT... if you do this you can make your site very fragile. Every time you change the course/category structure it will not automatically be reflected in these pages and you will need to remember to update them.

In reply to Howard Miller

by bilel Benziane -

Thanks a lot for your help. however i still need a way to assign pictures to my categories. but i might have a turn arround that by creating courses, and add sections and subsections to these courses. but do you know a way to display my courses list in grid view ?