Session problems in conducting quizzes

Session problems in conducting quizzes

by Aditya Dubay -
Number of replies: 8

Hi,

I am using Moodle 3.2.2

I have a moodle instance on dedicated server runs on linux.

I am taking examination of 11000 students in moodle through 36 quizzes right now.

Each quiz is having 70 questions and all questions are on one page.

I am getting error of "invalidsesskey" frequently whether there is 50 students or there is 500 students logged in at a time for examination. Because of "invalidsesskey" this happen:

- "Student 1" logged in to attempt quiz.

- "Student 1" started quiz attempt.

- During quiz attempt or during submitting quiz attempt "Student 1" found himself logged in as "Student 2" with "invalidsesskey" error.

- Now Student1's attempted is automatically finished without saving answer and Student2's attempt is also finished without attempting quiz.

Above situation happens very frequently in our moodle.

We are handling session through Database.

Please help sad

Also How to define cookie path to handle cookies on server.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Aditya Dubay

Re: Session problems in conducting quizzes

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm cautiously moving this to the Quiz forum...

In reply to Aditya Dubay

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hello,

What type of clients and browsers are being used? Is there anything unusual about the networking? IP restrictions? Dymnamic IPs with short leases? Virtual desktops? Shared drive? HTTP proxy? Do you have any custom plugins?

This seems like very unusual behavior. More information would be helpful.

In reply to Daniel Thies

by Aditya Dubay -

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for reply

We are conducting online exam of 11000 students from all over the country.

We have dedicated server for the this and our server is capable enough to take load as we did not get any server crashed kind of problem yet.

It is hard to find out browsers used by 11000 students and we would not apply any kind of restriction related to ip.

We dont have custom plugins installed.

Our current scenario is:
Domain is on different hosting provider.
Main website is created in .net on different hosting provider.
and subdomains where we are conducting exam is on different hosting provider.

In reply to Aditya Dubay

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If the error is that a user who was logged in as Student 1 suddenly finds themselves logged in as Student 2, then that is not a quiz-specific problem. Sessions are handled by the core Moodle library code before execution gets to the quiz.

There must be a problem with your session and/or caching set-up.

I think this would best be addressed in another forum (Installation problem, perhaps?)

You need to try to work out what happens at the moment when one user switches session. Can you reproduce the bug with your load-testing setup?

Can you use the option to get the cookies written to the Apache logs?

What option are you using for session storage?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Aditya Dubay -

Hi Tim,

Thanks for reply.

I also feel that this is session/caching related problem.

Where I can get answer of this, in "Installing and upgrading help Forum" or in "Hardware and performance Forum" ?

I needed help in this issue.

Is there any paid moodle service from where we can ask to resolve this problem in India?