Security copy moodle2 course eating lots of space

Security copy moodle2 course eating lots of space

by Mohammad kabir -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

Security copy of courses has been saving outside moodleData folder and it eats lots of space.

File saving in .mbz format. 

Site admin-> Courses -> Automated backup setup ( here all the settings ).

Question is: 

In the server, it eats 39G, which is really a lot.

How important a course backup is? What would be the problem if I do not take course backup?

If any body can share the knowledge and let me know if you need more info. Thanks in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mohammad kabir

Re: Security copy moodle2 course eating lots of space

by Raúl Martínez Álvarez -

Hi,

backups are your 'life insurance' of your content: you don't want it to use, but you will like to have one in case you need it. Always create a backup of your content, disasters happens....

Best,

Raúl

by Andrew Normore -

39gb you say?

Our moodle data is over 700gb.

"Welcome to Moodle"

Moodle is a fairly secure system, we haven't had any catastrophic problems that we needed backups for. However, if this is your job, as a Moodle Professional I would say you're obligated to do daily backups. 

You can configure it only to backup when changes are detected, and help to minimize server space.

But in honesty, you should simply tell your client that you need an extra $10  dollars a month to create a big fat data partition with your host. It is an operating expense in moodle.

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

We also have a tool called "coursebank" that lets you push your course backups onto cloud storage - this gives a number of different benefits including having your backups stored on a separate platform from your main site (so you can still access them if your hosting provider goes down)

more info: https://moodle.org/plugins/tool_coursebank