Inherited Moodle Server and upgrade

Inherited Moodle Server and upgrade

by John Lowe -
Number of replies: 1

I inherited a Moodle server on Windows that evidently was installed using the Windows full install package. I just update the server to 2012 R2 and want to upgrade Moodle from 2.6.5 to the latest stable release. I checked the environment upgrade into and get the following results. Any advice on the best path for upgrade would be appreciated. I will have to stay in the windows environment here.

Name Information Report Plugin Status
database mysql version 5.5.31 is required and you are running 5.5.8version 5.5.31 is required and you are running 5.5.8 Check
php version 5.4.4 is required and you are running 5.3.5version 5.4.4 is required and you are running 5.3.5 Check
php_setting opcache.enable PHP setting should be changed.PHP setting should be changed.

PHP opcode caching improves performance and lowers memory requirements, OPcache extension is recommended and fully supported.

Check
moodle version 2.2 is required and you are running 2.6.5+ (Build: 20141002)version 2.2 is required and you are running 2.6.5+ (Build: 20141002) OK

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Lowe

Re: Inherited Moodle Server and upgrade

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you mean that they installed Moodle on a server from the Windows "one click" installer found on this site then you need to consider that the package is only intended for testing and evaluation. Xampp on which it is based is not configured for 'production' (server) use. 

If that's the case you should consider backing up the data (database plus 'moodledata' directory) and then install PHP plus webserver (IIS probably) and MySQL 'properly'. 

Unfortunately, I have zero Windows experience and cannot be much more specific.