Advice on setting up front page

Advice on setting up front page

by Angela Kerton -
Number of replies: 3

Hello, this is my 1st post to the forum. I am an administrator and teacher using Moodle 3.2.2 

What's the best way to go about setting up the front page of Moodle to display various courses and make it easy to follow and attractive to students and teachers? Sections / topics / categories?

If you can send me any helpful links to instructions or examples that would be brilliant?

Thanks Angela

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Angela Kerton

Re: Advice on setting up front page

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Angela and welcomewink  First of all it depends on how your students will be enrolled in the courses on your site. For example at my old school (a high school) all students were automatically enrolled into their necessary courses so there was no point displaying courses on the front page - instead it was used for announcements and promo of the school.

On the other hand, if it is a site where students can create their own accounts and/or sign up for courses using self-enrolment then they need to be able to see at least the types of courses on offer. In this case I would suggest showing categories on the front page - and then students can click into them to see individual courses they want to enrol in. 

Note too that you can change the display of the front page courses depending on whether they are logged in or not - so you might want to show categories when they are not logged in and then when they are logged in, have the front page show only the courses they are enrolled in.

Other sites use fancy themes which show courses with accompanying graphics - others show all the courses if the site only has a few courses. It very much depends on the individual organisation. 

Perhaps you can give some information about the organisation and courses offered and learners to give people a better idea. And do you have a custom theme or are you using a standard Moodle theme?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Angela Kerton -

Hi Mary

Thanks for your reply. We anticipate that when this is rolled out over the next year the maximum number of users at any time would be around 300. Probably in the first year only around 60 to 80 students

The training company admin would enrol them and set them up as users, but as individuals they could enrol to a combination of courses within different categories depending on their training needs

We're figured out between us that there is between 12 - 15 categories of courses with some of them having mini courses within them. One of the courses has tutorials which are delivered on site at a variety of workplaces (mainly academic universities) once every 2 weeks over a 12 month people - the topic is animal science (with then, different sub topics such as anatomy, physiology, recognition of health and disease within that main category). Other categories could be "Legislation", "Training and competency assessment in the workplace", "Theatre technician training" etc. So it is quite varied, but yes probably too much to put on the main page.

But I am also thinking that the main page should be used to help advertise the types of courses we offer as a company?

I'm interested in finding out more about the option I copied and pasted below from your reply - can you point me in the right direction to learn how to do this?

Note too that you can change the display of the front page courses depending on whether they are logged in or not - so you might want to show categories when they are not logged in and then when they are logged in, have the front page show only the courses they are enrolled in.

We're just going to use the standard Moodle at the moment and then build on that once our graphic and IT skills develop.

Thanks for your help

Angela

In reply to Angela Kerton

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

The options in the italics in your previous post can be found in Site administration and then Front Page settings - for when logged in and when not logged in.