moodledata backup advice

Re: moodledata backup advice

by Matt T -
Number of replies: 1

for moodledata, that's right, and it's why I've asked this question. I would ideally like versioned, incremental backups, daily for 2 weeks.

a rudimentary way I can think of this would be e.g.

Say, cron job runs on week 1 to /backupserver/week1

cron job on week 2 to backupserver/week2/

repeat every week - and these two directories have the current and former week.

The thing is, I would like it to run daily, space-wise, there's not too many days that I could keep a number of consecutive backups without looking into some form of incremental backup. I'm not sure what solutions would be good for a linux server. If you have any suggestions that would be great.

Moodledata doesn't particularly concern me since they're just static files and the VM snapshot backup should capture them alright (unlike, perhaps, the mariadb db - and supposedly keeps daily backups for 3 months!). But I would like something to enable a quick restore if I'm woken up in the middle of the night!

In reply to Matt T

Re: moodledata backup advice

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Here is my script file that I use to keep a rolling 7-day backup.  Maybe it will help you think through your own needs.  I run this nightly via cron.

I worry about moodledata because it is coordinated with the database.  In this script file, I backup moodledata, the moodle sql database, the moodle application, and just for safety (yep, it's redudant), config.php.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)