Adaptable theme - Show navbar menu for guest?

Re: Adaptable theme - Show navbar menu for guest?

by Fernando Acedo -
Number of replies: 10
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

This is not possible for the moment but it is in the next features pending to add.

In reply to Fernando Acedo

by Gerald Stockinger -

Any news on this issue? - I can see it is still open here:
https://bitbucket.org/covuni/moodle-theme_adaptable/issues/514/display-navbar-menus-for-guests

I recently set up a new site using this very useful theme - only thing is the Navbar should also be visible to public (i.e. guest) users.

I guess for the moment I need to comment out the restriction in file layout/includes/header.php on line 363 where it says:

if (isloggedin() && !isguestuser()) {

thx,
Gerald

In reply to Gerald Stockinger

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

NO...

CHANGE IT TO READ

OR instead of &&

THEN REMOVE ! from !isguestuser

whuch will allow loggedin  users and guest users.

Hope thar helps?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gerald Stockinger -

I am very sorry, I don't understand what you mean. What should I change to READ?

When I remove the if-condition (or make it if(true)) then the Navbar is always shown. This is exactly what I need.
Currently I have four menu items in the Navbar: Home, My Courses, Help, Tools. After code-modification for logged in users it shows all of them, for public access it now shows Help and Tools, which is quite good. The Home-Menu would also be nice to show, but this one doesn't - okay, I can live with that.

I saw that the issue was closed in bitbucket a few days okay. I cannot see how it is solved - comment was "Fixed after move all the menus to the Links Menu".

So if it is fixed how can I turn on the Navbar for ALL users, also not logged-in ones and guest users (if my site permits public access, like mine does)?

Still a parameter setting would be extremely handy to turn on the Navbar for all users so that I don't have to change the code.

Thx, Gerald

by Jez H -

Hi Gerald,

The reason we dont show navbar for guests is that most of it wont work for them, for example a guest does not have a list of courses, anything useful on their dashboard, a list of enrolled courses, calendar events etc.

I guess we can alter this setting to make it possible to display, I am just wondering why you want to?

In reply to Jez H

by Gerald Stockinger -

Hi,

thanks for your help. The reason is that we try to build up a site with minimized complexity in the UI. See prototyp here: https://ausbildung.ppoe.at

This site is public and most of the static content and the forum is accessible. So besides of a graphical navigation we decided our main navigation should be the Navbar. Users are used to a menu like that and it shows nicely (as a Tribar) on mobile devices which is very important for us. Of course some menu items are only shown when logged in (such as my courses) but e.g. Help and Tools is always there, and it would also be nice if the Home menu would be there as well (currently missing).

Most of the users will probably enter the site public and then just log in only when needed e.g. entering a restricted course or doing "something personal". It should be the same user experience either logged in or not. Therefore the Navbar should always be there and only getting enhanced when needed. That is also part of the concept.

I know I can use the Top-Bar for Guests, but this is again a whole different story. It has only one LinkMenu-item and this huge Splash Screen when activated. This is not what we feel is appropriate for our homogeneous design concept. I think most of our users are not used to such a concept (yet) because it literally "bombs" the screen.

So I hope that it could be possible to activate the Navbar for all users (which I did already for myself directly in the code) and also have the Home Menu shown.

Gerald

by Jez H -

Hi Gerald,

Thanks for that, I get what you mean now, in fact we used to do something similar so that all users saw a "help" menu as you have shown here. I think we will look to remedy this so that it is still possible to do this.

by Rheman Pessek -

Hi Gerald Stockinger

I am also using adaptable theme and I also want to display "Help and Tools" as you did on your website https://ausbildung.ppoe.at

Please could you tell me our you achieved that ?

regards

In reply to Rheman Pessek

by Gerald Stockinger -

Hi Rheman,

Help and Tools are native functions of the Adaptable-Theme that you can switch on in one of the config pages:

https://your.url/admin/settings.php?section=theme_adaptable_header_navbar_menu
--> Tools Menu

https://your.url/admin/settings.php?section=theme_adaptable_navbar
--> Help Link

If you mean how to show them for public access without logging in, I did exactly what I wrote above, so in file layout/includes/header.php I commented out  line 363 where it says:

if (isloggedin() && !isguestuser()) {

So just remove this if-clause and navbar is always shown no matter if user is logged in as regular oder guest user or not logged in at all.

I am currently still using version 1.5.3 of adaptable theme (very careful about this, and not much time for testing on this production site) - maybe in current version 1.6.1 of the plugin there is already some kind of a switch available as Jez H said they would have a look into this.

Regards, Gerald