Moodle v Dokeos v ATutor v Bodington

Moodle v Dokeos v ATutor v Bodington

ni David Brighton -
Number of replies: 2
We are a small school with only me to look after choosing, installing and running a system to support our post registration healthcare learners. I thought the group may be interested in the outcomes of selecting an opensource system for the next 2(+) years.
I am sure that all of the products I looked at are fine and worthy systems, and recognise that some of the comments are down to the limitations of my knowledge. As it turned out, the level of hosting we have proved a deciding factor as well. We do not have a dedicated host as I would not like to take on the risk of creating a disaster! It is also worth pointing out that I am a nurse by background and have not worked on this side of a proper VLE before, and although I can edit a php file if I have instructions to follow, I have no real coding ability.

It was decided to pilot with an open source software solution as this allows us to use a system for relatively little financial outlay, concentrating resources on developing content instead. The objective was to look at 4 open source systems that were likely to

• Offer suitable functions
  • Be robust
  • Have an established user base and future development plan
  • Be relatively straightforward to use

The process of selection went through a number of different installation, administration and usage assessments, with the idea of rejecting any product that would present problems in maintaining or using. In addition, aspects of course creation and student use have been looked at.

The product emerging as the winner of this process was Moodle, which seems to offer a robust and mature platform, that is relatively easy to install, maintain and use, and allows teachers and students the tools they are likely to expect.

I created a table outlining notes on different aspects, such as installation, adding content, tracking students, upgrading etc. A summary is below, although this is mainly the bad bits.

Bodington failed as it requires full Java (not just scripting) hosting, a feature only really available on a root host. High level of IT skill needed (I think) and user support/community not developed enough.

Dokeos failed as it would not allow you to access newly created courses - you had to go back and reset the directory permissions. I also managed to delete a whole function set from a course, the SCORM import module. Seemed to be no way to get it back. Some of these may be bugs that have already been addressed, but it was enough to make me nervous of the carnage our teachers could create! Moderate user community.

ATutor seems a reasonalby decent product. It seems reasonalby unclurttered but did not seem to be that intuitive. It also does not like word documents, so would create an unnecessary burden on staff having to create html or text files. We may revisit this if the staff really decide they hate moodle! Moderate user community.

Moodle was the actual winner. Seemed the most powerful product, least flakey and having an accessible and active community was a necessity (I have been running phpBB up till now, which helped to highlight the importance of this sort of user forum). Seems to have the most active user / development community. In this process I also looked at the planned developments and any development release, cant wait for Moodle 1.6 or 2.0! I do still have a couple of outstanding issues, for example the exit strategy. It would be nice if you could export courses in SCORM format or something that could be transferred to another system (everyone seems to be migrating in, but migration out is a possibility).
Hope this is of interest to some of you, although I do recognise the limitations.

There is a blog detailing the process at http://nursing-elearning.blogspot.com/

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Brighton

Re: Moodle v Dokeos v ATutor v Bodington

ni LOUIS FREDERICK RAKOTOARISON -

Try to create table in moodle and resize it because it is so frustraiting.
I could not resize the table just to make photos and and texte well strucured.

The two others Dokeos or ATutor could do.
So it depends on the features or the context where you are.

Thanks a lot for the input. 

In reply to LOUIS FREDERICK RAKOTOARISON

Re: Moodle v Dokeos v ATutor v Bodington

ni Martín Langhoff -
Moodle 2.0 will have TinyMCE as the HTML editor, which will probably help. If you can get help from a good sysadmin, you may want to try the 1.9 + TinyMCE that I've put together.