How students get notified on new enrolled courses?

How students get notified on new enrolled courses?

by Dan Bell -
Number of replies: 3

Moodle 3.3.1 

How CAN students get notified on new courses. We have a requirement that we need to notify students on first login after an enrollment took place via admin-manual enrollment or cohort sync enrollment. We do not allow self enrollment.

I have been researching this for a little bit. It appears if student is enrolled by the administrator or cohort sync (our two enrollment methods), no email can be sent. Disappointing, but are there more methods to NOTIFY the users? Email would be great, but I'm giving up on it. Is there a way to display a spash screen on login when new courses have been enrolled since the last login. Someway to put newly enrolled courses in the message block on the first login after enrollment? 

Any other methods? I'd welcome to listen to all methods to solve this requirement. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan Bell

Re: How students get notified on new enrolled courses?

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

erm... that language you are using does not seem to be making a lot of sense, so I guess I am just not getting what you are talking about - so I am just going to guess.... 

A new course is created and students are enrolled into that course. You want students who are enrolled to get a notification that they have a new course. This makes a lot of sense. One way, I understand, is to make the landing page after login be the Dashboard and all courses students are enrolled in, and are active, are displayed there. That should be their notification. No need to go to the trouble of creating an email, then a recipient list then send it, just don't worry about it. That becomes a student problem. It should be their responsibility to notice if they have a new course in the Dashboard... erm.... on second thoughts, an email will always be proof positive that students have been notified.. .mmmm

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Dan Bell -

Judging your reply, pretty sure you understand my language fine.

However I do have worries when my customer has requirements that any new enrollment needs to jump out at students, whether that 'jump out' is via email, a splash screen that appears on login if any new courses were enrolled, or even a block on the dashboard that will automatedly populate only new enrolled courses on a first time login after being enrolled into a course since the last login.

I think your reference "creating an email, then a recipient list then send it" brings the notification functionality out of moodle, but i'm not sure. If so, that is not an option for us. Needs to be automated in moodle and the email needs to come through moodle with only the effort of admin enrolling a student or cohort sync, which are our only two enrollment methods.

Thanks.

In reply to Dan Bell

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Unless there is an existing plugin (I looked)...

I think this may involve some custom development. Most of the things you are concerned about generate events (e.g. a user getting enrolled on a course). It's relatively simple to create a plugin that traps an event and does "something". The something can be sending a notification email. 

You would need a developer but it shouldn't be a huge project.