Removing the Dashboard

Removing the Dashboard

by Jay S -
Number of replies: 4

Hello,

I want to gain more control over the drawer, and right drop down menu. My current solution is a hack, and I'd appreciate some guidance to ensure it's done right. It all started with just trying to hide 'Dashboard' from the menus. However, I've also decided to remove calendar and private files (add_front_page_course_essentials).

I was hoping to use a mustache template, anytime the string Dashboard is found it skips the row. Or, even better a simple list I can define. Nevertheless, I failed with both of those attempts. Hence, the hacks below. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Drawer hack - line 1226 - lib/navigationlib.php 

• - $this->add_front_page_course_essentials($this->rootnodes['site'], $SITE); //Removes Calendar and Private files
  • + $this->rootnodes['home']->showinflatnavigation = false; // Removes Dashboard

Right dropdown menu

• .dropdown-menu-right a.dropdown-item.menu-action:first-child{ display:none; /* Removes Dashboard */}

PS

Private files can be removed using user policies by defining the role of authenticated user (search for private uncheck everything).

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Jay S

Re: Removing the Dashboard

by Jamie Billingham -

I have the same question - 

How to remove or hide from students the calendar, private files, profile... basically everything but log in, log out and the link to the course the logged in user is enrolled in.

We are using a Moodle site for exams only so don't want the examinees confused or distracted by options that have nothing to do with the exam itself.

Hoping there is a way to do this without re-writing a pile of code :-O

In reply to Jamie Billingham

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

at least (with NO code) you can :

• completly deactivate some things you don't use (like badges, blogs, messaging...)
  • hide some blocks from "Site administration > Plugins > Blocks > Manage blocks"
  • deactivate items in the user menu : "Site administration > Appearance > Themes > Theme settings", then "customusermenuitems".

Séverin

In reply to Jay S

by Kahraman Bulut -
Picture of Testers

just use CSS to hide menu items, for example:

#nav-drawer {

[data-key="privatefiles"], [data-key="badgesview"], [data-key="2"], [data-key="25"], [data-key="26"] {

display: none;

}

}

Average of ratings: Useful (2)