Assignments not showing in upcoming events block after upgrading to 3.3.1

Assignments not showing in upcoming events block after upgrading to 3.3.1

by Rob Monk -
Number of replies: 15

When I set an assignment it does not show in the upcoming events block. Calendar entries show and quizzes show but assignments don't. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rob Monk

Re: Assignments not showing in upcoming events block after upgrading to 3.3.1

by Harry Dickinson -

Having a similar problem after upgrade. New assignments are not registering as events on the Calendar for admin, managers and lecturers. Obviously this error is reflected in the associated blocks and on the dashboard. Funny thing though; students can see the events on their calendar and dashboard.

Cannot find anything in user permissions to explain the behaviour and have tried purging caches to no avail. 

This is a serious headache, can't do without this functionality. Help would be very much appreciated.

Should I look at rolling back to 3.3 ?

In reply to Harry Dickinson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

If you want assignments to show up for a teacher then add a date to the (new in 3.3) setting "Reminder to grade by" when setting up the assignment. See Course overview block and Assignment settings

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rob Monk -

So the assignments will show in upcoming events for students but staff won't see it? They will see their Reminder to grade by due date?  

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Harry Dickinson -

Thanks for the prompt reply Mary. Unfortunately, nothing is showing up in events, or calendar, for lecturers, managers or admins regardless of setting the "Reminder to grade by" date. No matter what the settings for the assignment, students are the only users who can see any record of the event. Lecturers' dashboard is practically redundant without a useful timeline.

Confused!!

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Those with a teacher role in the course should see the assignment on their dashboard course overview block if they've set a reminder to grade by. However in terms of managers and the calendar , you might be interested in this tracker report: MDL-59113 Also, Rick Jerz who reported it has commented in a forum thread about this elswhere on here and you might wish to do a search for that and continue the discussion.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Harry Dickinson -

Will do Mary. Many thanks.

However, still think that it would be extremely useful to a lecturer or manager, to be able to see all upcoming events for an individual course from within that course page, on the calendar or upcoming events block. IMHO

by Rob Monk -

I agree with Harry 

I'm not seeing the "Reminder to Grade by" date thing as all that helpful. 

We need to see what the students see easily rather than having to jump to student view. 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Edwinna Lucyk -

I did add a date to the "remind me to grade by" field but the assignment still did not show up on my dashboard.

See attached.

Also, as others have mentioned, it is very inefficient for teachers to have to switch roles to the student role to see assignments in the Upcoming events block and course calendar.  In prior versions of MOODLE, the teacher and student saw activities and events in the Upcoming Events block and Calendar on both their Home page (pulled from all courses enrolled in)  and in those blocks on the course page.    

Any help you can provide would be most appreciated.

In reply to Edwinna Lucyk

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Well you have some showing there - is it because they have submissions and the new one doesn't?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Jason Touw -

Just to add my two cents to this discussion piece...

1. I find it very time consuming and problematic to have to switch to Student Role in order to see the Assignments coming up on the calendar.  I am not quite sure why assignments would be omitted from the teacher role whereas quizzes and other assessments are not.  I need to know what the students see in order to make sure my calendar is accurate.
  2. I have tried using the "Remind me to Grade By" feature and it still does not show on my calendar and I have not seen the value in it.

I think an update/change should be made here...just my thoughts.

In reply to Jason Touw

by Harry Dickinson -

Just a quick point to note Jason. Assignments with the "Remind me to Grade By" feature enabled will only show up in your Dashboard when a student submits an assignment. It will then appear and display the number of assignments awaiting grades. And, it will only stop displaying after all the assignments have been graded. Very useful feature IMHO.

Do very much agree that all assignments should show up as events on course calendars. Not so sure I want them all on my dashboard though. 

In reply to Rob Monk

by Mike Wilday -
Prior to 3.3, the Upcoming Events Block has always shown all assignments and their due dates, even restricted assignments that are grayed out. On January 8, we upgraded to Moodle 3.3 via Moodlerooms and we are experiencing the issue that the assignments are not appearing on the UPCOMING EVENTS BLOCK. This has proven very confusing for students and needs a resolution. 
In reply to Mike Wilday

by Jason Touw -

The assignments will show up for Students but not Teachers in Moodle 3.3 build.  So your students see the upcoming assignments, but the instructor does not.  We just upgraded to 3.4 and I am pleased that the assignments are showing up in the Events block once again, and they have added the phrase "is due" prior to the date on your calendar.  So it appears "HW #1 is due Friday, January 25, 2018."  A nice touch in my opinion.

In reply to Mike Wilday

by Tonia Malone -

Greetings,

We have 3.4.2.

If the instructor creates an activity with "restricted access" (based on completing an activity)...the instructor can see the activity in the Calendar, BUT the student cannot

Is there a way to allow students to see future "restricted" activities? 

Student view

students calendar

Instructor view

instructor calendar

In reply to Tonia Malone

by Lyn Pennington -

I wish there was an answer to your question, as I'm having exactly the same problem.