Invalid Response Value Detected error message

Invalid Response Value Detected error message

by Ericka E. -
Number of replies: 15

We are using v3.2.3, upgrading from v3.0.10.  In the new assignment grader for 3.2, I keep getting an invalidresponse error.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Is there a way to go back to the old assignment grader at all?  I know that's a long shot, but I figured I would ask!  I know if you change the URL from action=grader to action=grade it will bring you back to the old grading screen, but I don't know if there is a way to automatically do that.

Additionally, in the new grading window, names do not appear in the box on the upper-left or in the center of the screen to indicate the user's work you are viewing.

Any help in resolving this is appreciated.

Attachment 3.2 assignment error.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ericka E.

Re: Invalid Response Value Detected error message

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Think that version was the first to use unoconv for annotating assignments.   By default, the upgrade may have set the path to unoconv but server has not be configured to use it.

Go to Site Admin menu, search for 'unoconv'.  Find the link to system paths.  The path to unoconv might already be filled in /usr/bin/unoconv but there is an X not a check - X means that path is not right and unoconv cannot be found.   Remove the path to unoconv.   Save changes.

Then go back to a grader area to see if behavoir/error doesn't go away.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Ericka E. -

Hm, we updated our system to the latest version (3.2.4) and I tried your suggestion, but am still receiving the error.  

In reply to Ericka E.

by Ken Task -

Recheck the path to unoconv.  With previous versions of Moodle path type variables weren't filled in by default ... a hint or suggestion near the boxes for setting paths were near by and generally correct.

Unoconv setting/path pre-populated the path when first introduced, if I re-call correctly, so upgrading to 3.2.4 might have reset the path to unoconv.

Also, if I re-call correctly, there were two links to get to grading ... screen just prior to the actual grading of the assignment.   Which are you choosing?   The one that list assignment submissions or right into grading?   An observation where there was/appeared to be  hickup ... if going right into grading the assignment and the first user Moodle found to grade just happended to have NOT submitted anything yet to be graded it took longer and if unoconvert still on, some strange behavior.

May as well turn on debugging and see what happens.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Jason Menard -

So we're seeing this error as well, except Moodle 3.3 seems to want unoconv 0.7. Well and good, but we're running Centos 7 and there isn't an rpm for unoconv 7. So we installed from source, and the testunoconv gadget in Moodle says it doesn't support the version of unoconv we have installed which ostensibly is the one it's supposed to want. It should be findable in the default path /usr/bin/unoconv.

Thanks for any help, much appreciated!

-jason

In reply to Ericka E.

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Unfortunately if you fixed Unoconv settings, new files will be converted correctly, but older submissions will still have the error. 

The easiest fix may be  to deactivate the plugin until the old submissions are graded.

In reply to Ericka E.

by Saulo Sá -

I have similar problem. Despite having installed and setup correctly unoconv, the users data dont stop loading. I enabled debug flag and i had got the following error:

Did you solve this problem? Thanks for any help. 

In reply to Saulo Sá

by Ken Task -

Haven't had the problem but then again don't have a server that apparently uses pt_br_utf8.  Thanks for error screen, but the tail end of the first line I think is key and might lead you to a fix ... expects lang type of what?

Since unoconv actually tries to talk to LibreOffice, the language issue might be with LibreOffice.

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/?lang=pick

If that's the case, then your best source for assistance might be with the aurthor of unoconv (really a python script).

https://github.com/dagwieers/unoconv

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Saulo Sá

by Ericka E. -

We were able to resolve the issue by upgrading our system to v3.3.  This way the files are converted using the google converter instead of unoconv, which was giving us nothing but headaches.  I know a few other moodle schools did the same.

In reply to Ericka E.

by Saulo Sá -

I'll upgrade in my local enviroment to test. Thanks.

In reply to Saulo Sá

by Jason Menard -
Thanks to all who've responded to this post.  We resolved this, finally. While our solution was unique to our institution, we were inputting bad lang field data in the mdl_user table through our registration system.. from en_utf8 to en_us, and after we did that unoconv worked as expected. It was a legacy thing that didn't matter until we started to need unoconv more.

Best,
Jason
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jason Menard

by Saulo Sá -

Finally I solved the problem. Thanks Jason Menard, your post was very useful. I changed wrong lang of user table. In my case pt_br_utf8 to pt_br. Warning: i made this in test enviroment... test before

In reply to Saulo Sá

by Bruno Henrique Cury -

Hi,

Were you can fix this problem?

My debug:

Thank you

user => Valor inválido de resposta detectado: lang => Valor inválido de resposta detectado: Invalid external api response: the value is "pt_br_utf8", the server was expecting "lang" type
Error code: invalidresponse
* line 424 of /lib/externallib.php: invalid_response_exception thrown
* line ? of unknownfile: call to external_api::clean_returnvalue()
* line 233 of /lib/externallib.php: call to call_user_func()
* line 59 of /lib/ajax/service.php: call to external_api::call_external_function()

In reply to Bruno Henrique Cury

by Sergio Renato Aldana Alvarez -

Did you find a solution?

In reply to Sergio Renato Aldana Alvarez

by Saulo Sá -

Yes. The problem was solved updating records in moodle database. In my enviroment the lang is PT-BR. Some users langs  were with wrong string lang. So i just changed the values by SLQ. E.g:

update mdl_user set lang = 'pt_br' where lang = 'pt_br_utf8'

Warning: please, first test in dev  enviroment. 

Probably this problem occurs in a moodle's  service  accessed by the unoconv.

In reply to Saulo Sá

by Russell England -
Picture of Plugin developers

I can confirm this. Had the same error message for a user using a language that was missing.

Installing the missing language pack resolved the problem.

Although I think it should fail gracefully?