General help

email to hotmail and gmail not working

tom
email to hotmail and gmail not working

Hey Guys,

we're having trouble getting the mail settings right.

I'm working with moodle 3.3+ (Build: 20170519) on  a small server and most of it is working fine except the email.

I can send emails to some domains, but not to hotmail.com or gmail.com (maybe more).

I used the following smtp setup:

server: mail.mijdomein.nl:465

The solution is maybe to setup an spf-record at my email dns (external company), but I have suitecrm installed on the same server with the same configuration and it can send mails to all domains. The external company demands that i specify the spf-record, but I have no clue what to send them

Anyone know what to do?

Tom

P.S. I'm dutch so sorry if my English is not correct.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Howard Miller
Re: email to hotmail and gmail not working
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Ask whoever administers the mail exchanger  for mail.mijdomein.nl to check the logs for your traffic to gmail and hotmail. 

I would expect that your mail is being rejected for some security related reason. This is really quite common. 

Configuring a mail exchanger and administering it is non-trivial and requires quite a lot of specific knowledge. I would try to avoid it. These days, things like SPF records are, effectively, mandatory if you want to deliver mail reliably. However, none of this is really a Moodle issue.

Picture of Ken Task
Particularly helpful Moodlers

For general/overall info on SPF, please see:

https://www.google.com/search?q=spf+record+DNS&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

for a tool to help generate an SPF text record for DNS, please see:

https://www.spfwizard.net/

Howard is correct ... it really isn't a Moodle issue ... change nothing to your config for SMTP in Moodle.  Once mail leaves the moodle the fate of the messages themselves are at the mercy of DNS and other mail systems and what checks those mail systems use to accept/reject mail.

Trouble shooting ... ie, figuring out why messages are rejected ... involves some outside testing or one gets an incomplete picture and starts chasin' rabbits down wrong rabbit holes, so ...

Is the mail server linux?   Do you have ssh access to that mail server?   If so, one could login to it, install alpine (text based MTA).   Then one could test directly from that mail server ... that's the one gmail and hotmail will see initially.   Send a test message to a gmail or hotmail address and the rejection will have a notice sent back to the mail server (called a bounce).    Reading the rejection notification will give you some info. and hopefully, suggestions as to how you can resolve the issue at the SMTP mail server.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

tom

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the info. I'm working on it with my email provider at the moment.

Greetings,

Tom

Picture of Justin Almeida

Hey hey, a two month necro. Not bad for me!

Tom, if you're dealing with a Gmail account that's for an education institution, there's a default restriction for those domain to only accept e-mails from other Gmail authenticated/backed/validate domains.  (I don't have access to the backend of such a system, so I do not know the exact technical language used to identify the term.)

I ran into this literally just now with a customer and came across your post while trying to figure out if anything can be done to make the receiving end OK with such e-mails. (Which if the case, could be a security issue so am happy I have not stumbled across such a workaround - yet.)

My understanding is there's a whitelist that can be used to allow e-mails from 'outside' domains to be received, but again without access to the receivers end, I don't know specific terms to be able to narrow down to a specific area.