Is there a git command that would show what's to be updated?

Is there a git command that would show what's to be updated?

by Ken Task -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Let's say one has a 3.1.0 and will update in the same series of code to the highest 3.1.x available via git.  Is there a git command like rsync's 'dry run' that would enable one to see what files would be changed/added/removed first before actually updating?

And part two of this ... how about going from 3.1.x and hyperjumping to 3.3.latest?  Any 'dry run' git command for hyyperjumping via git?

Thanks, in advance ..

Ken

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ken Task

Re: Is there a git command that would show what's to be updated?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Possibly....

git diff --name-only  branch1 branch2

Which will list the files that chance between branch1 (probably your current branch or commit or whatever) and branch2 (the target branch or or commit or whatever).

In reply to Howard Miller

by Ken Task -

Thanks, Howard.

Hadn't seen that combo in anything I've found/read ... but then again there's a ton of stuff to read about git.

Have a 'client' that's getting a little gun-shy on upgrades/updates - minor hick up last time.   Figured if I could provide a list of files that were added/changed/deleted it might (notice I said might) help. :|

Would also help me on update troubleshooting ... should there be a need.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You can do a compare one version to another in the GITHUB which I find easier to see and read. Its just a matter of clicking the right buttons. smile

In reply to Mary Evans

by Ken Task -

Thanks, Mary ... and the url you use is? + what/which are those 'right buttons'?

Ya see, we CLI people get 'lost' in GUI! :\

Thanks, in advance ...

'spirit of sharing', Ken