assignment files viewable to everyone

assignment files viewable to everyone

by Amy Palermo -
Number of replies: 5

I am teaching an online course for teachers in which they must create their own WQ using PowerPoint or web authoring software for one of the assignments. There is a good chance that most participants will turn in multiple files for this assignment. Can anyone suggest an efficient way of doing this since assignments only allow you to upload a single file? Also, I want all of the WQ viewable for peer editing. Suggestions? I would prefer that Moodle is not used to create the WQ so that teachers can use what they create outside of class incase their schools do not support Moodle. 

I ran into a similar problem in a Photoshop class I taught. Students had to submit their assignments as a jpg, but then I had to save all of their files to my server and then create a page that linked to each of them so that classmates could view each others work. Am I missing a shortcut?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Amy Palermo

Re: assignment files viewable to everyone

by peter main -

Possibly

You may just re-use the web/single file structure you have already created, Provided each student has their file collections as zip or tar units for each assignment, and dependant on how you administer their submissions.  (eg. Do you need to quarantine assignments until a set date for instance)

Once files are wrapped/unwrapped  according to your specification, different  systems cannot excusably change data within that single file. Seemingly simple processes such as backing up to CD, or transferring between diffeent OS's can create subtle problems (eg.  R/W flag changed to R/O, case-sensitive interpretations)

How you specify the zip process to the students depends on your needs - eg. specifying a fixed path to test their offerings etc.

In reply to Amy Palermo

by Matt Oquist -
HI Amy,

The new portfolio module might help you out, since it's designed to allow students (or whoever) to publish artifacts to other people.  Keep in mind that it's NOT ready for production, but I'm getting it there as quickly as I can.

There is a discussion thread here that was moved to here if you'd like to read more or make comments.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Christy Gunnels -
Hi Matt,
I'm very interested in this because I have a situation similar to Amy's. I would like students to view each other's work. This work would be short animations, .jpg and .gif.  I'm also curious if they can manage small web files through moodle that I could then "pick up" and ftp to our web server.  The short of it is, I am a user, not a developer. The jargon throws me at times.  But I have a tech who can install, etc. Thanks.
In reply to Christy Gunnels

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Christy,

Yes, the portfolio module should enable you to do all these things. As I mentioned to Amy it's NOT production ready, but I'm aiming for early-to-mid March for early adopters/testers to start with it.

Hopefully by that time there will be a fully portfolio-integrated Document Management System (DMS) that will allow students to upload arbitrary files and (at the very least) add those files to their portfolios, which will then enable them to let other Moodle users read those files. Ideally, the DMS itself will allow for such sharing, but we'll see. smile

Worst case, even the current version of the portfolio module would meet your needs if each file they need to share is assigned to them in a course. The student completes the assignment (by uploading a file (short animation) or filling in a form (web files)) and then clicks the "Add this to my portfolio" button. After that, the student can publish these portfolio artifacts to other students (or even to anonymous users, if you decide that's ok) and I think your needs will be met.

I encourage you to create a user on my development system, enrol in a course, complete an assignment, add that assignment submission to your portfolio, and then publish that item. That's the best way to get an overview of how this system already works.

The main portfolio module discussion is right here, so feel free to drop in there and ask questions or make comments.

Oh, and I should mention that a mature Moodle DMS is really what I think you're looking for, and it's hopefully on the way soon (few months).

Thanks for your interest!
In reply to Christy Gunnels

by Andy Hawkins -

Another possibility - netpublish and outpublish modules.

Cannot see my recent posts - one of them had list of URLs for these - try doing a search on the forums.

Andy