Description of images not appearing

Description of images not appearing

by Adam Fabirkiewicz -
Number of replies: 2

Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster.

Anyway, I recently received a strange issue report from a faculty member that I cannot get to the bottom of. I am suspecting that it is a bug in the software, but I wanted to check here first to see if anyone had run into this issue. It is difficult to describe in text, so bear with me.

The faculty member teaches a foreign language course, and wants the image descriptions to appear when the cursor is hovered over the image. Just FYI, we are running Moodle 3.1.6 (Build: 20170508).

He said this semester is the first time he has run into this issue, which is not surprising, because we just upgraded to Moodle 3.1 at the end of May this year. He is importing from last year's version of the course, with no apparent issues at first. However, as soon as he edits the topic the image is under, this description icon stops appearing when the cursor is held over the image. The issue occurs if the edit topic menu is opened and you click save, even if no changes are made.

The images are all stored in the Legacy Course Files area, but I have tried reuploading them with no luck. This is also occurring when I create a blank test course and upload an image from my hard drive, Google drive or anywhere else. I would be really grateful to hear if anyone else has run into this before, or if you have any insights on this problem.

Thanks everyone 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adam Fabirkiewicz

Re: Description of images not appearing

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Replicated on my Moodle 3.1 site with a different theme and course format so that is not the issue.  I suspect the hover effect was removed when they increased accessibility stuff.  Now, the description is there for a screen reader and maybe not on hover??  Just a guess!

In reply to Emma Richardson

Re: Description of images not appearing

by Adam Fabirkiewicz -

Thank you for looking at it. I am glad to hear that someone else was at least able to duplicate the problem and rule out some possibilities. Such a strange issue.