Cannot Download course completion report into XLE file

Cannot Download course completion report into XLE file

by hojiaka H -
Number of replies: 2

Hello Moodle community,

my company recently started using Moodle as a LMS. I am going to be Admin and help creating courses on moodle for different departments. I have a question for recently uploaded course.

On configurable reports, when I try to download Course completion reports on XLE file, it is thinking very long time and crushing at the end. My first assumption is the size of the file, (it seems rather large). how can it be fixed? what steps should I take to be able to download course Completion reports on excel file? 

Thank you for your help! 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to hojiaka H

Re: Cannot Download course completion report into XLE file

by Jamie Kramer -

Hi Hojiaka. Congrats on your new Moodle admin role!

Exporting to the various formats can be a demanding process on the server. It is common for an export to cause PHP execution to reach the various limits and controls that are often set at default values. These limits can exist in the PHP configuration, the web server configuration, and many other layers depending on your hosting setup (such as load balancers).

I would go out on a limb and take a guess that you are either hitting a time limit (in PHP or web server such as Apache) or a memory limit in PHP.

When you say you are trying a .xle extension, you are referring to an Excel file, is that right?

Do you know about how many records are in the report?

Does it work if you try to download as a CSV (plain text file)?

I would approach this issue by reviewing the web server error logs and the PHP error logs. It would be helpful to also enable debugging within Moodle while attempting an export. Any debug errors might tell you at which layer the process is failing (web server, PHP, or neither). You could share any debugging output you receive.

Once you can identify more diagnostics, it may then be easier to understand if PHP or the web server configuration needs to be tuned. You might also want to review your current settings in php.ini for max memory and max execution time. 

Jamie

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jamie Kramer

Re: Cannot Download course completion report into XLE file

by hojiaka H -

Hi Jamie, 

Thank you for your answer! I really appreciate it.  I will talk to my developers and tech lead to check on your suggestions. 

Yes  by .XLE file I mean downloading report into Excel file. I have tried to download it to CSV file after reading your response. It worked! (it took long time as well about 5 mins to be complete)  Report is big. It contains information of people who have completed the course and number of people in thousands. Almost 8 thousand to be precise.This number will continue growing as we go. 

When trying to download it to Excel file page crushes after 5 or s minutes and I get following message:

HTTP 500 Internal Server Error

Most likely causes:

• The website is under maintenance.
  • The website has a programming error.