Teaching with Moodle

Show content and questions on same page.

Picture of James Steerpike
Show content and questions on same page.
Particularly helpful Moodlers

As an ESL teacher I want to use a magazine article or audio to practise comprehension. I created a topic, added an  article as a page and followed it with a quiz with half a dozen questions. One topic, two activities.

The trial user, on a computer, read the article once before moving on to the quiz but didn't refer back to the article. That shows many users would find if difficult to use the two activities together. Using a mobile phone ( as do many of my students) would compound this problem.

So the article or audio plus the questions need to be on a single scrollable page. Looking around the forum, either a cloze question or a lesson activity seems to be the solution. This must be a very common scenario - how do others follow information with a series of questions?

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Mary Cooch
Re: Show content and questions on same page.
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Use a description question type for the article followed by the other quiz questions. Make sure shuffling questions is turned off and the questions are all on one page.

Average of ratings: Useful (5)

Tried that and it works. Not particularly pretty at this stage as students have to start a quiz to read the article and the background of the article is blue as it is a question.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Well you could always have the article as a separate page as well as in the quiz description area, and even perhaps set it up so they can only acces the quiz once they have read the page with the article.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)

Good suggestion.

I think presentation is important. My students had not seen Moodle before and were very impressed by the overall look as well as the capabilities. The more professional the site appears, the more a user values it.

Picture of Daniel Thies
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters
Maybe it would work to use activity autolink to link the article to a question or even glossary filter to make it appear as a popup.

Picture of Melissa .

Read this thread from 2010:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=143711&parent=627788

I think that is what you are looking for.    The solution is very ingenious, and it will look very nice (professional).

Melissa

Looks interesting so I will follow it up.
Most of my students use mobile phones so have to see how it would look.

Picture of John Doubleday

Mary. I like the idea of having the Content and the Quiz on one Page but  not sure what you mean 'Use a description question type' ?

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch

Just that  -the Description question type It provides a space (like a label) into which you can add text or media and which can appear before or after other question types like multiple choice.

So you could divide your quiz into pages and have a description question type at the top with text/media and then one or two questions underneath, all one the one page.

Picture of Helen Foster
Core developersDocumentation writersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTestersTranslators

Here's a screenshot illustrating Mary's suggestion of using a description question type first, for the content, then all the questions on one page.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
Picture of Rick Johns

James, I had the same need to have a reading passage followed by some questions all on the same page. I did as Mary suggested using a description question at the top. You can put some simple html around the passage to make it black text on a white background, and it looks pretty good.

In my case I used div tag at the very start :

<div style="background-color: #ffffff; color: #555555; padding: 20px; font-size: 14px;">

and then at the very end:

</div>

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
on the Great Wall

Keep an eye on the H5P Mod. 

nadavkav/moodle-atto_hvp

I have it set to a Document type activity that can be exported at the end. 

plus there is the ability to have a PDF page embed at the top that is coded in the description box (Header)

so its all on the same page. 

there is plenty of scope within it to mix up the activity. 

Picture of Aurelien DARIE

Hi Daniell, could you please explain a bit more how you have managed to do so. Do you have a screenshot for instance ? Thanks

on the Great Wall
Popped a few screen snaps to you via PM. 

1st one shows the pathway through a Lesson Plan. 

2nd is the Button to take them to the Activity Page they are to Answer\export and send to the assessor (Teacher\Trainer)

3rd shows the H5P Document activity, this is made and hidden from students then embedded- iframed into the page. As you can see there are links to reading material that are to be used to answer from. 

2nd example is just a mix of MC H5P questions that are related to the technical document they need to be able to reference from. 

I use either the pdf codes for this and or lately I am in love with flowpaper. 

I am keeping a running blog on what is working for me here.. 

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=361015

Hope this gives you an idea of how it is working for me..

We are just setting up the competencies against all of this now so that it all gets ticked of automatic as they complete the tasks, as ours is very much competency based training and assessments.  

Average of ratings: -
Picture of John Doubleday

James

Have you tried H5P  https://h5p.org/content-types-and-applications It is so flex-able you can pretty well create any form of E-Learning using one of the free Modules.

Moodle 3+ has come of age and is finally great to use. Add H5P and for the first time in my E-learning life I feel the software has caught up.  Do yourself a favour,  TRY IT

Picture of Aurelien DARIE

Dear John,

I am already using H5P extensively, please check : https://moodle.aflahaye.nl/exercices/

Please look at the picture below to see my requirements.

Has anyone got an idea on the css modifications I would need to do in order to have something similar ?

Regards,

Picture of Michael Penney
Core developersParticularly helpful Moodlers

You can use html/css to put a passage on one side and questions on the other when using Cloze format.

on the Great Wall

Yes, and using bootstrap grid would make that even easier to do. 

https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?id=1464

I have successfully used this many times to break the page and embed items.

You can have the page embedded as a PDF or Picture on one side and your H5p on the other side. 

But of course, remembering designing on a big screen, may not be optimized if a lot of your users are on tablets and or mobile. 

(I have been going through this myself of late and so have a tablet in front of me to test to make sure I am designing for small screens as well)

It is a good conversation and I have been playing a bit of late with placement holder codes. 

As in theory, you could use, "Well's" and "Cards" to do the same thing

All my students use phones in class - we have no tech other than what the students carry. A tablet would be a big screen in comparison.

Not sure how prevalent my situation is but it really puts a lot of emphasis on simple designs. Side bars and complex menus which look great on a screen just end up eating space on a 5 inch screen.

Picture of Ian MacKinnon

If all your students are using phones, have you tried the App? Much more simplified design compared to using Moodle on a mobile browser. Using Mary's suggestion above works nicely on the app as there isn't the blue styling behind each question and there are no blocks or menus. See below:

moodle app quiz display

Average of ratings: Useful (4)

Good point. I have a nice big screen and always use the browser at home as I often have other windows open. I use my phone in class as I don't have access to the internet otherwise and although I installed the app, just head for a browser window out of habit.  I told my students about the app and some are using it but I have spent very little time on it myself.

Job for the weekend - use the app myself and next semester, move the students to it. I just have to check if all students can find the app as the Google store is not available from this location.