Teaching with Moodle

Show content and questions on same page.

Picture of James Steerpike
Show content and questions on same page.
Particularly helpful Moodlers

As an ESL teacher I want to use a magazine article or audio to practise comprehension. I created a topic, added an  article as a page and followed it with a quiz with half a dozen questions. One topic, two activities.

The trial user, on a computer, read the article once before moving on to the quiz but didn't refer back to the article. That shows many users would find if difficult to use the two activities together. Using a mobile phone ( as do many of my students) would compound this problem.

So the article or audio plus the questions need to be on a single scrollable page. Looking around the forum, either a cloze question or a lesson activity seems to be the solution. This must be a very common scenario - how do others follow information with a series of questions?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Mary Cooch
Re: Show content and questions on same page.
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Use a description question type for the article followed by the other quiz questions. Make sure shuffling questions is turned off and the questions are all on one page.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)

Tried that and it works. Not particularly pretty at this stage as students have to start a quiz to read the article and the background of the article is blue as it is a question.

Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Well you could always have the article as a separate page as well as in the quiz description area, and even perhaps set it up so they can only acces the quiz once they have read the page with the article.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)

Good suggestion.

I think presentation is important. My students had not seen Moodle before and were very impressed by the overall look as well as the capabilities. The more professional the site appears, the more a user values it.

Picture of Daniel Thies
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters
Maybe it would work to use activity autolink to link the article to a question or even glossary filter to make it appear as a popup.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of Melissa .

Read this thread from 2010:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=143711&parent=627788

I think that is what you are looking for.    The solution is very ingenious, and it will look very nice (professional).

Melissa

Looks interesting so I will follow it up.
Most of my students use mobile phones so have to see how it would look.

Picture of John Doubleday

Mary. I like the idea of having the Content and the Quiz on one Page but  not sure what you mean 'Use a description question type' ?

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch

Just that  -the Description question type It provides a space (like a label) into which you can add text or media and which can appear before or after other question types like multiple choice.

So you could divide your quiz into pages and have a description question type at the top with text/media and then one or two questions underneath, all one the one page.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Rick Johns

James, I had the same need to have a reading passage followed by some questions all on the same page. I did as Mary suggested using a description question at the top. You can put some simple html around the passage to make it black text on a white background, and it looks pretty good.

In my case I used div tag at the very start :

<div style="background-color: #ffffff; color: #555555; padding: 20px; font-size: 14px;">

and then at the very end:

</div>

on the Great Wall

Keep an eye on the H5P Mod. 

nadavkav/moodle-atto_hvp

I have it set to a Document type activity that can be exported at the end. 

plus there is the ability to have a PDF page embed at the top that is coded in the description box (Header)

so its all on the same page. 

there is plenty of scope within it to mix up the activity.