Moodle 1.9 Extension Development Book, Can I read it now ?

Moodle 1.9 Extension Development Book, Can I read it now ?

by Mohammad Eftekhari -
Number of replies: 9

Hi.

I wanted to read this book https://www.amazon.com/Moodle-Extension-Development-Jonathan-Moore-ebook/dp/B0058O84U6 for learning how to create blocks, plugins and other stuffs.

( I know that a new book is published but I can't afford it right now )

But the problem is that it is for version 1.9 and we are on version 3.3.

How much Moodle backend has been changed since then? Can I still read and learn from it?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mohammad Eftekhari

Re: Moodle 1.9 Extension Development Book, Can I read it now ?

by Tomasz Muras -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Translators

Hi Mohammad,

If you contribute to Moodle development, I will send you a copy of my book for free.

cheers,
Tomek

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tomasz Muras

by Mohammad Eftekhari -
Thanks Tomasz smile

Sure I want to learn and contribute, but I am beginner in Moodle. What should I do to satisfy you?

by Tomasz Muras -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Translators

There are various ways to contribute - some ideas are on https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Contributing_to_Moodle .

For the dev resources, start with an excellent post by Michael.

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

There is a lot of "how to" information available in Moodle if you go read through the Development documentation. I suggest you might start with developing a simple HTML block as described here: https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Blocks

by Mark Johnson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There's been a few suggestions of other resources to look at, but just to give a clear answer to your original question:

A lot has changed since Moodle 1.9.  The 2.0 release brought in a lot of changes to the APIs which you would use for writing plugins, so the information in that book is likely to be out-of-date in a lot of key areas.

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Mohammad -

I'm one of the authors of the book you are referencing. If you are trying to learn Moodle development as a new Moodle developer, and you are starting with 3.3, I think it would be best to skip this book. Most of the content is outdated and doesn't reflect the current state of the Moodle internals and API's. That said, it can certainly help you understand the basic structures of Moodle and how it all works together, giving you a good overview understanding of how things work. But when you go to build any of the specific plugins, you will need more up to date information than you will find in there.

There are many new resources and I can see that others have pointed you in good directions.

Good luck and have fun developing.

mike

In reply to Mike Churchward

by Mohammad Eftekhari -

Hi.

Thanks too much for reply and also the book.

OK, so I am moving on and I am going to use other resources and maybe trying the new book.