Forum sending out an attachement

Forum sending out an attachement

by Gemma Lesterhuis -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hello,

When a forum topic includes and attachement. The attachment is send together with the forum message. 
The attachement file shows inline as a blue hyperlink link. Outlook adds a download button behind it. 

Clicking on the blue link will lead the enduser to Moodle. 
The end-user needs to be logged in to be able to actually download the file. 
This leads to alot of confusion with end-users. 

As a site admin I am confused that when I use the setting "allowattachements" in Server > outgoing mail configuration that this not influence the above situation. The description says "if enabled, emails sent from the site can have attachements, such as badges". I actually would had thought that this includes forum topics that have an attachement? 

My questions:

1. Is there a reason why the attachement is not really an attachment in the mailbox? 
    Argument could be to avoid overload of the mailbox. But then I would expect that siteadministrators/managers can use the setting "allowattachements" to decided on how to handle this. There are several ways to avoid large attachments in Moodle. 

2. Am I missing a setting / solutions that does avoid end-users to need to login? 
    1. If there is none, is it a solution that Forum topics with attachements could be handled differently? By example the use of a magic-token? 

Thank you for your time. 

Gemma

Enviroment information

Moodle 3.2/ 3.3 (and probably other version coupe with the same thing). 

Average of ratings: -