Quiz simplifying

Quiz simplifying

by Marinda Fourie -
Number of replies: 11

Hi there, I am brand new to Moodle. I'm using Moodle 3.3

I would like to simplify the quiz. I want a student to simply click on the quiz button, go to the quiz, answer, get their report and return to the course. 

My site will be used by people who are not always very computer literate. It needs to be as easy and userfriendly as possible. At the moment, I hit submit, then review, then submit again, then confirm your submittion, then review again. And there is no button to return to course. 

It is very confusing. 

Thank you for your help. Please remember that I am new, so I am not familiar to changing coding etc.  I will appreciate your patience. 

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Marinda Fourie

Re: Quiz simplifying

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

"I would like to simplify the quiz. I want a student to simply click on the quiz button, go to the quiz, answer, get their report and return to the course." 

In my Moodle, with quizzes (T/F, MC) this is essentially what happens.  

The first button "Finish Attempt" is very important.  It allows students to review if they have answered all questions.  This seems especially important for those not computer literate.  It reminds the student that "this is what you have just done. Are you okay with it?" Without this step, you would have students (especially non-computer literate) saying to you "I didn't know that I forgot to answer question 5."

Next is "Submit all and finish."  This button completes the quiz.  I see no way to avoid a button that lets a student say "I am done."

Then, there is a confirmation button that is essentially "Are you sure?"  This button is very common whenever anything very important is soon to happen. Without this confirmation, the non-computer literate person would complain to you that they were really not ready to finish.  The "Are you sure" is a safeguard, and very similar to many systems where something very important is happening (like a student grade, or like transferring $1000 to a person, like submitting your taxes online, etc.)

At this point, the student is provided a review of their results.  You seem to agree that this is needed, as I do.

At this point, the student can "Finish the review" which allows them to retake the quiz if multiple attempts are allowed, or they can click back into the main course.

So in four clicks, they are done. I really don't see any way that this can be simplified, especially for the teacher.

I have been using Moodle's quizzes for many years and I do not recall any single complaint by a student about this.  However, suggestions like yours are always appreciated.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I think that Finish Attempt and Submit All and Finish could be combined into one step...

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Rick Jerz -

Emma and others, I am going to share an idea with you for some feedback before posting a feature request about this quiz navigation wording and system.  I still stand by what I had said above, but I want to add some ideas about wording, and one possible shorter method.

When a student is in a quiz, they see the main body, and the quiz navigation block. 

If a quiz has multiple pages, the “Next” button at the bottom seems appropriate, as it exists.  Then, on the last page of the quiz, the “Next” button changes and says “Finish Attempt”.  To some, this might mean "I am done."  But to Moodle, this means "Let me review what I have done before I am really done and want to submit."  I am suggesting that this button wording should be changed to "Review Attempt" and that the title of the next webpage should read "Review Attempt." (At MoodleMoot US, the person who spoke about "accessibility" mentioned that links (and button) should reflect their "function," so "Review Attempt" seems fine with me.)

At the bottom of the "Review Attempt" webpage, the "Submit all and finish" could be changed to one less word, "Submit and finish".  The "all" is implied because there can never be "some." Now, what should happen?  I actually like the pop-up dialog box prompting the student "Are you sure...", but others might think that this is unnecessary.  But maybe someone can provide a convincing argument one way or the other.  I like it because for most of my quizzes (which are automatically graded by moodle), this extra "Are you sure..." put the correct burden upon the student to make sure that they are really done.

I am also suggesting one more change.  In the Quiz Navigation block, the "Finish Attempt" should be changed to "Review Attempt" because the student is taken to the exact same webpage, the webpage where they can review their attempt.

I am attaching mock-ups of both suggestions.

Tim, you probably know the history of this wording.  Your insight is valuable.  Your thoughts please?

Attachment Quiz Review 01.jpg
Attachment Quiz Review 02.jpg
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Rick Jerz -

I found that I am not the first one to mention this.

See other forum discussion about this.  It talks about "language customization," but quite honestly, I can't follow the directions about how to do this.  Can someone help?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Rick Jerz -

The more that I have thought about this wording, and possibly language customization, the more I conclude that the wording should be changed at the core level.  I plan to make this a feature request in Moodle Tracker very soon.  I will keep you informed.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Margaret Matthias -

I agree with what you have come up with for the wording.  I am for keeping/having the pop up to confirm the submission.  Thanks for doing this.  I know the wording in some areas throws off some faculty and students.  When we hosted ourselves I used to modify the language. 

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There is merit in most of what you propose, but one some problems:

We already use the phrase 'Review attempt' after the attempt is submitted, for looking at which questions you got right and wrong, the feedback, marks etc. (Exactly what can be seen is controlled by the 'Review options') - so, it seems dangerous to reuse the word 'Review' for something that happens before the attempt is submitted.

Also, you are addressing the concern 'Student worries that clicking Finish is irreversible'. However, there is another scenario: 'Student working in a quiz, not being sure what to click to Submit their work'. Obviously the current wording was chosen with the second scenario in mind.

So, getting these words right is really hard. It would be great if you could continue to think about it.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Rick Jerz -

Tim, thanks for jumping in and providing some good thoughts about this.

So, we have "Review attempt before submitting" and "Review results after submitting."  Is there any scenario where a student can change their answers after they have submitted?

I am not sure about the exact words, since "Review attempt before submitting" makes a button be very wide.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Melissa . -

If I am understanding things, I think that the original poster is describing a scenario of just a single question quiz.  More of a "Do you understand the concept I just taught you?"

When a user is answering just a single question, the four clicks does seem extreme.  That may be where the confusion is.

1. Question?

(answer) - Click 1

Then the user would get a response back that they are correct or incorrect.  Since this scenario is not usually a formally graded quiz (gets counted), there is no real need to "verify your answer".

Melissa

In reply to Melissa .

by Rick Jerz -

Good point. If a quiz had only one question, then all of the review/verify steps might seem excessive.  However, I like a system that is "consistent" so I don't mind students seeing the same steps regardless of whether the quiz contains one or one hundred questions.

You present another word that we might consider using, "verify."  Maybe this is the word that could be better before submitting.  We might "verify answers," or "verify attempt", then "Submit and Finish."  After the quiz is submitted, the student can go back and "review" their results.

I continue thinking about the best wording.