Assignment setting Maximum submission size dropdown has no options after upgrading to 3.2.3+

Assignment setting Maximum submission size dropdown has no options after upgrading to 3.2.3+

by Gerry F -
Number of replies: 1

Moodle 3.2.3+/MySQL 5.6.19/php 5.6.30(Upgraded from 5.5.37)/IIS 7.5 on Win2008r2

After upgrading from 3.0.latest to 3.2.3+ via 3.1.latest, whenever we create a new or edit an existing Assignment with Submission types "File submissions" selected, we receive the following error when saving:

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$assignsubmission_file_maxsizebytes in locallib.php on line 138

We can click Continue and the new assignment is created or the edited assignment is saved.

The error led straight to the Assignment setting Maximum submission size.  Where it use to have a default setting and the option to select other size limits from the drop down, now has no default and a blank drop down list after the upgrade.  If you go to Security>Site policies, the option to set the site default for upload size is missing.

So, considering my post_max_size and upload_max_filesize were both .5mb in php.ini, I thought perhaps there was a minimum now with Moodle and tried changing them both to 1mb.  I did not log out.  I refreshed my browser after restarting IIS. Now, the options for file size in the drop downs show up.  It was also showing in Security>Site policies.  However, I couldn't save anything.  Editing was on for the course before I refreshed so I was able to try adding an assignment but I received an error.  I then tried going into another course to see if the setting showed up and allowed me to save there.  As soon as I clicked the Turn Editing on button, I received this error:

Debug info:

Error code: unspecifycourseid

Stack trace:

line 503 of \lib\setuplib.php: moodle_exception thrown

line 30 of \course\view.php: call to print_error()

Clicking OK/continue takes me back to the home screen.

In a different browser, I tried logging in as a non-admin user but could not.  It gave no error, just returned me to a cleared login screen. I also tried the admin user and couldn't log in.  I'm assuming if I did not simply refresh the browser after the IIS reset, I would have been locked out as logins were not working anymore.

I then change the php.ini settings back to .5mb, restart IIS, and everything worked again except my original problem of setting the upload file size.

So, why does changing the upload size now break so many things?  I want to say I've changed to higher limits in 3.0 to restore a big course backup file but honestly 2.9 could have been the last time I needed to do that.  

Did something change in PHP 5.6 from 5.5?  Is MySQL not so innocent in this?  

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gerry F

Re: Assignment setting Maximum submission size dropdown has no options after upgrading to 3.2.3+

by Gerry F -

I was on the right track with .5mb in php.ini.  Seems the newer version of PHP doesn't like MB when referring to megabytes.  Need to use M.  Even after I changed it to .5M and restarted IIS, the settings all looked the same.  Nothing in the drop down menu and missing completely from Security>Site policies.  I then upped it to 1M and restarted IIS.  Viola!  Settings appeared, Assignments were added and edited without error upon saving.  Turn editing on button turns editing on instead of erring out completely.  Hopefully this is the end of this issue.