Converting InnoDB tables to Barracuda with OVH shared server

Converting InnoDB tables to Barracuda with OVH shared server

by Matt Cany -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

During my last upgrade (Moodle 3.3) I had a warning message who told me I need to upgrade my database (Converting InnoDB tables to Barracuda).

I tried to do it on my own (knowing I am not a developer but learn quickly) so I logged to my shared server via SSH etc.

Here is the code line I used (the config.php file is good, I already checked the end and the path):
$ php www/admin/cli/mysql_compressed_rows.php --fix

Error code: dmlwriteexception

!! access denied; you need the super privileges for this operation

I have been dealing with the support of the server provider (OVH) during the past few days, made good progress until I hit a wall because they cannot give me super privilege access or SUDO access via SSH (because it is a shared server...).

They say I can use a Moodle on their shared server, so I believe other people do it as well because it is very convenient. They also strongly advice me to post on this forum to find the answer.

So is there a way to force the update with a basic user privileges?

Thanks for your help!

Matt

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Cany

Re: Converting InnoDB tables to Barracuda with OVH shared server

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Run the command with the switch ''--showsql".  It will generate the SQL that is required. You can then copy that and use it in your MySQL client when logged in as the 'root' user. 

In reply to Matt Cany

Re: Converting InnoDB tables to Barracuda with OVH shared server

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

+1 to Howard's suggestion, but ... a catch 22 ... and this is directly related to OVH support.

You could send the .sql output to helpdesk and ask if they would perform the task on your database, but think they will still baulk at that ... shared server means shared DB server and anything of a global nature to settings of the DB server would/might affect *ALL* customers on that shared system.

OVH claims Moodle can be run on their servers ... well, since you are going to 3.3, just how many of the new Moodle additions can a shared server setup support?   Will they setup unoconv, LibreOffice, Apache Solr, JRE 1.8 and a listener? (I kinda doubt it.)

So, yes, you might get 3.3 to run with the help of OVH helpdesk, but even if you do, don't expect to be able to use all the features.

Maybe what OVH and other providers should do is have dedicated shared servers just for Moodle customers ... uhhhh, good luck with that.

It would be interesting to see OVH provide the number of customers on shared hosting successfully running 3.3 of Moodle with all features enabled and functioning.

Even if a 'work-around' is found, what of future Moodle updates or upgrades?

Said this before ... will say it again ... think the days of Moodle on shared hosting are drawing to a close.

2 cent opinion ...

'spirit of sharing', Ken