The Moodle stopped uploading pdf files

The Moodle stopped uploading pdf files

by Irith Herman -
Number of replies: 9

I used Moodle 2.5.4 for a long time and the site worked fine and suddenly it stopped uploading PDF files.

I checked the server settings and the file size limit is 1 giga.

What happens is that the file starts loading and then it gets stuck.

Word and Excel files are up and images but not all types of images

, There was also a problem with PNG files so I converted them to JPG and they went up.

Yesterday I upgraded the model to version 3.3 but it did not help solve this problem.

irith Herman

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Irith Herman

Re: The Moodle stopped uploading pdf files

by Jamie Kramer -

Hi Irith: A couple questions and ideas to get started:

• Is the underlying server disk/storage volume full or nearly full?
  • Turn on debugging, try the upload again, and check the logs for debugging
  • Which course activity or module type is the PDF failing on? Assignment? File/resource? Other?

I think that getting debug output might be the most helpful in diagnosing this issue.

Jamie

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jamie Kramer

תשובה ל: Re: The Moodle stopped uploading pdf files

by Irith Herman -

Thank you

I'm desperate.

1. the server is not full, 

Webmin 1.840 on localhost.localdomain (CentOS Linux 7.2.1511)

Local disk space 92.07 GB total / 71.09 GB free / 20.98 GB used .

I've already done all your suggestions

I opened the Debugger but it does not show an error.

But it show this error 

It doen"t metter which activity I choose the proble is with the file picker.

Irith

In reply to Irith Herman

Re: תשובה ל: Re: The Moodle stopped uploading pdf files

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

If no debug output, it means the error is before getting to Moodle code, I would think.

Look at other server logs ... specifically apache error log and mysqld log.

Since you have webmin there is an interface into logs:

System -> System Logs -> then the 'view' button on the line for apache error log.

That will display the last 20 lines of the log file.

That interface as search capibility ... but, increase the number 20 to something larger so you can see more lines .... 20000.  Then click 'refresh' button.

Can't tell you what to search for but look for lines related to moodle code ... a .php file doing something related to upload.  OR lines that mention seLinux.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ken Task

תשובה ל: Re: תשובה ל: Re: The Moodle stopped uploading pdf files

by Irith Herman -

Thank you 

I did it but there are not error lines when I"m tryind to upload pdf file.

I looked at Webmin error log

and there I found this line after trying to upload the file

03/Jul/2017:08:24:19 +0300] [10.30.1.1] Document follows : This web server is running in SSL mode. Try the URL <a href='https://10.30.1.55:10000/'>https://10.30.1.55:10000/</a>; instead.<br>

Could it make some sense?

Irith

In reply to Irith Herman

Re: תשובה ל: Re: תשובה ל: Re: The Moodle stopped uploading pdf files

by m question -

I don't think it is a moodle issue, I searched for this error on net and I found those links, I hope it will help you : link1link2

In reply to m question

Re: תשובה ל: Re: תשובה ל: Re: The Moodle stopped uploading pdf files

by Ken Task -

The error you found was strictly about Webmin.   Unless Webmin was installed using a true certificate from a CA, it uses a self-signed certificate (on Linux CentOS) one is generated by default.   It does have an expiration date and the system op can regen a self-signed certificate via command line or even webmin.

Been running Webmin for years and if browsers (like FireFox) warn it won't auto accept the self signed cert, I always 'make the exception' in FireFox and use webmin running https ... rather than using http.    Reason is simple ... even if self-signed and not provided by a Certificate of Authority, traffic is encrypted ... some encryption is better than none ... considering when one logs into Webmin one is essentially like root user.   So, unless you are using a corporate controled workstation, it's better, IMHO, to use webmin under https - even if self-signed.

A guess: as far as the issue with PDF's in Moodle ... you must be using file system repo and uploading to a file system repo using webmin.    Then linking in Moodle to the PDF's/other files.  OR, you are uploading via Webmin to a directory outside of Moodle all together and using URL's to link to the files via Moodle.   There is no module or addon to webmin that will interact with Moodle's true file system ... in moodledata/filedir/.

Anyhoo, good to hear it's fixed for ya ... just thought I'd encourage you to use Webmin more securely.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to m question

תשובה ל: Re: תשובה ל: Re: תשובה ל: Re: The Moodle stopped uploading pdf files

by Irith Herman -

Our server sits on a server farm and the technician there insists that it is a Moodle problem and asks me to add code lines in Moodle to debug the error.

I realy don"t know what to do...

I sent him your replay but he still insists that it is a moodle problem.

irith

In reply to Irith Herman

Re: תשובה ל: Re: תשובה ל: Re: תשובה ל: Re: The Moodle stopped uploading pdf files

by Ken Task -

You don' t have to add lines to config.php to run on debugging.    As an admin user one can turn on debugging via the Moodle Admin interface.

Site Admin -> Experiemental -> Debugging and set it to developer.

OR, use the Site Admin search box and search for 'debug'.

That will show errors to all users ... so after you've collected info to post back here and share with your system admin, turn debugging off.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

תשובה ל: Re: תשובה ל: Re: תשובה ל: Re: תשובה ל: Re: The Moodle stopped uploading pdf files

by Irith Herman -

Dear Ken!

I was on holiday so I did not respond, but the problem was not resolved, now I also can not upload 1300 kb ppt files.

The server is on https but I get a markup that is not secure.

i checked the Certificate Authority, that what it says:

Your Webmin server is already setup as a certificate authority. You can use this form to set it up again, but any certificates already issued to users will no longer work.

i don" understand what it means or what to do.

Irith