Self registration with no email confirmation

Re: Self registration with no email confirmation

by John Porten -
Number of replies: 13

Thought I would mention that this plugin works great in 3.3.  We may look at upgrading it for Mobile.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Porten

by Daniel Lynds -

Hey all:

I have installed this plugin and wonder why/how to get it to be the primary way people enroll on the site.

Basically I want students to be able to put in a username and password and then start on a course.

Any pointers?

In reply to Daniel Lynds

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers

Hi Daniel,

This functions like any other authentication method.  Under Site Admin>Plugins>Authentication>Manage Authentication you must enable it and then place it in the top position (under Manual Accounts and No Login) if you have other methods enabled.

You can read more about authentication in the Documentation on this site.

In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Daniel Lynds -

Thanks so much for responding Chardelle:

I have done what you suggested but when I land on the login page I still don't seem to be able to use the online confirm method.

Are there other settings I need to enact in authentication?

In reply to Daniel Lynds

by Chardelle Busch -

Since this is an authentication method, users will first have to click to create their account/signup using the normal signup form.  However, they will not have to confirm their account via email, they can confirm it by clicking a button on the page once they fill out the signup form and then they will be logged in.  After that login is the same as it normally is.

by Daniel Lynds -
Thanks for your timely responses! Most appreciated.

So what I'm trying to do is - give out links to courses where students can land and login without verification.

Not sure this plugin is the answer, but could be part of it?

Thanks all for your advice/help.

In reply to Daniel Lynds

by Chardelle Busch -

I don't think that will be possible unless you have them log in as a guest.  In order to keep track of their grades, etc. in a course, they will have to sign up so they that they have their own user id. 

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Daniel Lynds -

Hello again:

I actually may have a solve, but am wondering something - how would I make it so that the only fields they would have to fill in are username and password - would this be possible with the Online Confirm plugin?

Also, would I be able to use a direct link to a course and they login directly after confirming?

In reply to Daniel Lynds

by Chardelle Busch -

Well, yes and no.  First and last names and email addresses are required moodle fields.  For one thing, they are used for searching for one thing, you wouldn't easily be able tell your users apart if not for those and you may as well be letting them login as "guest".

That being said, there are ways to get around it, I have had clients who have done things like this.  It will require some custom coding though.  If you want to use a custom signup form, you can copy the login/signup_form.php file to the onlineconfirm folder.

Then add some code to onlineconfirm/auth.php (I don't remember if I put it in these files) like this under the function called  function can_signup() add a new function to call the new signup form like this:

/*Override signup form*/
    function signup_form() {
        global $CFG;

require_once($CFG->dirroot.'/auth/'.$this->authtype.'/signup_form.php');
        return new login_signup_form(null, null, 'post', '', array('autocomplete'=>'on'));
    }

Then you could custom code that signup form.

As for the redirect, you can add a redirect to the user_confirm and login functions in the auth.php file under the true returns something like this:

redirect($CFG->wwwroot.'/course/view.php?id=2);

by H D -

Chardelle Busch

Thanks a ton for such a wonderful plugin.. Please keep updating it , its wonderful . It works without any problem. 

Thanks again..

by G.P.A. Tech Center -

Afternoon - thank you for this plug-in it has been driving me crazy trying to find a work around.

- i have the plugin installed and i have moved it to the top under manual and no login.

- I then went to go create an account and i am still getting the following error: 

"Tried to send you an email but failed!"

Please please assist.  

In reply to John Porten

by Noel Adjavon -

Hi, Please confirm if you have been able to upgrade it for the mobile.  Thanks, Noel