[FIXED] More theme not working in Moodle 3.3

[FIXED] More theme not working in Moodle 3.3

by Mary Evans -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I'm having difficulty getting More theme to work in any version of Moodle 3.3.

Can anyone verify More works OK in Moodle 3.3 as it could well be a local problem with my WAMP server?

Thanks

Mary

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Evans

Re: More theme not working in Moodle 3.3

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Mary,

Works for me on Moodle 3.3+ (Build: 20170622) on Win 10 on a hand made WAMP individual install with https.

Any errors in the php.log file?  If the 'all' cached file is empty then indicates a PHP LESS compilation failure.

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I'm using Win 7 as my Win 10 crashed a while back, so reverted back to original setup.

Something has changed in Moodle 3.3.6 as it was working OK in the other versions.

How did you set up HTTPS?

by Mary Evans -

Thanks Gareth,

Looks like its my PC that is at fault and in need of replacing with a MAC.

Either that or I retire...

I think it may be the latter.

Thanks anyway.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

If you get a Mac, you will be having so much fun with it that you will find that you will no longer want to retire.  smile  (Of course, you see my bias.)

I actually have around 12 PCs on my Mac, via VMWare.  Yep, Windows10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows 95, Windows 3.1, and DOS 6.x, to name a few.  I have run XAMPP on a couple of these, just fine, including Moodle.  But I don't run Skype on these.

So with my Mac, I have a Mac and a bunch of PCs.  Oh, I also have a number of Linux virtual machines, and even a Mac Yosemite.  All on my Mac!

On my Mac, both MAMP and XAMPP, I have various Moodles installed.

Whatever happens, don't retire.

by Mary Evans -

I don't have a clue why Moodle 3.3 is acting this way as Moodle 3.2 and 3.1 work OK.

I have been testing my Morecandy theme, which is based on the More theme, and discovered that it's something to do with the LESS compiler. If I block those setting out in the config.php it works OK other than no settings are being rendered. So no colour other than what Bootstrapabase is giving it.

Normally the Bootstrapbase CSS files are not loaded, however I allowed them to be so I could see what was happening.

I don't have a clue how I can fix it and not sure if it is a bug or just my set up?

It's just a fresh install and new database no themes other that what is shipped with 3.3 Weekly version.

$release  = '3.3+ (Build: 20170629)'; // Human-friendly version name
$branch   = '33';                                 // This version's branch.
$maturity = MATURITY_STABLE;     // This version's maturity level.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Can also confirm its working for me on Linux localhost, Apache, MySql & PHP7, no https smile

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

Thanks Richard, I'm just testing it now to see if PHP7 works any better.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by François Lizotte -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Just wondering what the problem is. We do have an issue with More in 3.2.3. We cannot move objects in a course with drag and drop.

François

In reply to François Lizotte

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

If D&D is breaking then JavaScript is breaking which can be caused by 'any' faulty JavaScript loaded on the page from anything, not just the theme.  Look at the browser development tool console for errors.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mary Evans -

Just to let you all know that this was a BUG and needs to be manually fixed as the fault is dependent on the type of server you use.

Follow this link to read how this was tracked down and a solution found.

Here is a list of known servers types to date that experienced problems
with More based themes on Moodle 3.3:

WAMP Server with PHP 5.6.25
Debian 8.4 Jessie with PHP 5.6.30
CentOS 7 with PHP 7.0.x

Moodle Tracker: MDL-59188 Clased as "Won't Fix"

My greatful thanks to both Alan Schrock and Ken Task (Spirit of Sharing)

Cheers

Mary