Link Gradebook items to course sections

Link Gradebook items to course sections

by Randy Foster -
Number of replies: 6
I'm having trouble sorting out the way the quiz assignment works between the gradebook and the section i want to assign it to.

First when I try to add a quiz it is defaulted to 10 points maximum and I can't figure out where to make the changes to a higher value other than within the gradebook. I can do that but I then have to go back and edit the quiz to show the minimum score to pass which is defaulted to a blank. If I try to set it before I change the maximum in the gradebook, I get an error requiring me to limit the minimum grade to under 10 points.

If i add the quiz in the gradebook I can set up the point structure the way I want but I cannot figure out how then to place it into a weekly section. I have added three quizzes but I can't find a way to link them to their respective weekly section.

Any help to point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

In reply to Randy Foster

Re: Link Gradebook items to course sections

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

What version of Moodle are you using?  I am confused - you can't add a quiz to the gradebook...you can add a grade item that does not have an activity attached to it or you can add a quiz on the course page..when you add a quiz, you have the option of how many points to attach to it...have you read the documentation?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Randy Foster -

I'm using Moodle 3.2.1 (Build: 20170109)  and I have been reading through the documentation for quite a while as well as watching many videos on youtube while trying to learn how to create and manage courses.

I apologize for mis-stating a few things and causing confusion. In the gradebook setup I clicked "Add a graded item" and added the item with the title of "Quiz One" so while I was thinking "quiz", my question should simply have been how do I connect the graded item i just added in the gradebook setup to a topic section in the course? I had assumed that when I added a graded  item there would be some way to link it to the topic section.

For the second part of my question on point value; when I am in a course topic section with editing turned on and click "Add an Activity or Resource" then choose "Quiz" I can set up the quiz but the only parameter available for grade points is "Grade to Pass". There is no field to allow me to set the maximum grade points for the quiz. If I enter anything greater than 10 in that field i get an error that says "The grade to pass can not be greater than the maximum possible grade 10".

It seems that 10 points is the default value but I do have the Site administration > Grades > General settings > Grade point default and Grade point maximum both set at 100.

I can find a place to change the maximum point value once the quiz is created and I've started to add questions to the quiz. Once I change the value to lets say 100 points it seems that I then must go back and edit the quiz to change the value of "Grade to Pass" and  adjust it up to coincide with the new maximum grade points.

In reply to Randy Foster

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Forget about grade items.  They do not link to activities.  You want to add all your activities and quizzes from the course page, not the gradebook.  When you set it up, you have the option to set total grade for the activity etc right there in the settings (you might need to click on Show Advanced).  It will automatically create the grade item.

In Site Admin you can also set default points for the quizzes under the plugins/activities/quiz settings.  There are two parts to the quiz - the Edit Settings page and also the Edit Quiz page which is where you add the questions and can adjust the total score too.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Randy Foster -

Hello Emma

Thank you for the help. That answered my question and you pointed out where to change the default value for quizzes. I really appreciate it. 

In reply to Randy Foster

by Emma Richardson -

Feel free to mark as useful!  It helps our Particularly Helpful Moodler status!

In reply to Randy Foster

by Emma Richardson -

Feel free to mark as useful!  It helps our Particularly Helpful Moodler status!