Activity Completion Tracking

Activity Completion Tracking

by Gordon McLeod -
Number of replies: 0

Hello,

I'm posting this under usability as that's where it is a problem for me - but forum admin might decide it sits better elsewhere.

I have courses with groups of students undertaking separate activities - lets call it differentiated learning. I'm preparing for upgrade to version 3.3 and want to fine-tune activity completion so that the course notifications are more accurate.

Currently it works as follows - when students view a resource, take a quiz or whatever the completion box is ticked and it is tracked on the activity completion report. Unfortunately, the activity report doesn't take account of whether a student is permitted to access a resource - it just lists everything that has a completion option, even if the student isn't able to complete (for example because they don't belong to the only group with access).

Once we move to 3.3 I'm anticipating this might go catastrophically wrong, with students panicking as Moodle tells them they've only completed 1/3 of the course activities, but they can't see anything that they haven't done.

What I think SHOULD happen is that when the activity report displays, it is individualised for each student. If as a result of activity restrictions a student has no access to an activity, the report should have a gap (instead of a tickbox that will never be ticked) - and that the completion notifications and tracking should likewise only consider the activities available to that student, regardless of what else might have completion tracking switched on in the course.

Can anyone enlighten me about whether this issue has been addressed in the 3.3 version of Moodle - or if there is a workaround? If there isn't a solution I'll raise a bug report as this will impact really badly on student perception of the new Moodle progress notifications if it hasn't been thought through. It's bad enough as staff wanting to check progress and having to constantly refer back to see why students haven't completed tracked activities, it'll be far worse if students are being told they haven't done something they don't have access to.

Regards, Gordon.

Average of ratings: -