How to enable Private Files

How to enable Private Files

by Rob McCart -
Number of replies: 9

I can't see how to access Private Files any where on our Moodle site either as a student or as an admin. 

The documentation indicates that you can click on "Manage private files" in the Private Files block on the Dashboard page, but I don't see the block. I've reset the Dashboard to default.

I don't see Private Files as a block that I can add anywhere on the site.

A old forum thread talked about disabling private files for students in the "admin >user > permissions > define roles > student", but I don't see anything about private files on this page.

Have private files been moved somewhere else in a new version. We running Moodle 3.2.2+ (Build: 20170331).

Thanks for any help, Rob McCart

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rob McCart

Re: How to enable Private Files

by Paula Clough -

Rob

Administration>Site administration>Plugins>Repositories>Manage repositories.  Go there to look at the respository settings and make sure the private files are marked Enabled and visible.

cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Rob McCart -

Hi Paula,

Thanks for the quick response. The "private files" option was indeed disabled in the Repository settings.

I've enable it, but still don't see a "Private files block" on the student dashboard. As some earlier posts suggest, I can enable/disable this in the "site admin > users > persmissions > define roles > students", but I don't see anything there about private files.

Am I missing another setting somewhere?

Thanks for your help, Rob

In reply to Rob McCart

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Are you using the Boost theme? If so then you will see a link to Private files in the navigation drawer and you can add it if you wish to the default dashboard for all users -although if you are using Boost then there is not much point. (I've updated the documentation to clarify this.)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rob McCart -

We are using the Aardvark theme which I think is the default.

Thanks, Rob

In reply to Rob McCart

by Paula Clough -

In my 3.2 it works in Aarvark. Make sure you haven't collapsed the block as in this picture in the upper left corner. Also make sure you haven't taken the block off at sometime when you were customizing the page. 

cool

Attachment IMG_0658.PNG
In reply to Paula Clough

by Rob McCart -

Hi Paula, 

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a collapsed Private Files block on my dashboard.

If the block has been removed through customization, can you tell me where I can add it again?

I have clicked on "Reset to Default" on the dashboard page.

Thanks, Rob

In reply to Rob McCart

by Paula Clough -

I will look around some more and see if I can get it to replicate in my Moodle. One question just to make sure are you also trying this on a different computer? That will help to make sure it's not something in the cache. 

cool

In reply to Rob McCart

by Hugo Ribeiro -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi all,

We've been also using Aardvark and today we found out there's no link to be found to "My private Files". Has it disappeared from the dropdown menu as well from the profile editing options?

Thanks 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Tamara Clarke -

Hi Mary (or other clever people)

Sorry to be a bit dumb here but I want to hide the private files option from the navigation drawer, (boost moodle 3)and cannot figure  out where to do this.  Can you help?