Serenity Theme on 3.3?

Serenity Theme on 3.3?

by Teacher 123 -
Number of replies: 5

Will the Serenity Theme run on my site if I upgrade it from 3.21 to 3.3?  Thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Teacher 123

Re: Serenity Theme on 3.3?

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi High...smile

As long as you install Base theme and Canvas theme first and then install Serenity. I think it should still work, however I cannot guarantee it.

The beauty of the early themes is that they tended to just 'colour' the otherwise boring Standard look Moodle insisted on having in those days.

The best way to check this out is make sure you enable "Allow theme change in URL' in the Theme settings page.

Site Administration > Appearance > Themes > Theme settings

This way you can assess the theme using ?theme=serenity in the URL of your site.

For example:

https://schoolcollageuniversity.edu/?theme=serenity

However if you do find that after testing, it triggers some errors in Moodle 3.3 please let me know and I'll try and fix them.

Hope this helps?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Teacher 123 -

Hi Mary,

Thank you so much for your quick reply and for explaining everything so thoroughly. 

I really appreciate it.  

Fred 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Teacher 123

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Fred, 

You are very welcome.

Im just this minute updating my Moodle 3.3 Test Site, and will install the Serenity theme to see how it performs.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

Svar: Re: Serenity Theme on 3.3?

by Gunilla Brattberg -

Did it work for you?

I have just updated to Moodle 3.3 and I can´t get the theme Serenity to work. It appears among other themes in  "To choose between themes" but how do I choose it?

In reply to Gunilla Brattberg

Re: Svar: Re: Serenity Theme on 3.3?

by Mary Evans -
You can select it after you add a version.php file to it. Copy the Canvas theme's version.php and just change the plugin name 'canvas' to 'serenity'. But then there are places within the layout files that need updating as these changes will cause error messages to appear. So technically it's not going to work in every page in the modern Moodle sites like 3.0+ without a good overhaul which would be better to do perhaps in Base and Canvas themes too. It's a big job and I have lost heart in it all now, as things within Moodle 3.3 have changed so much and the new technology and ideas have taken the symplicity and joy out of creating Moodle Themes.