Teaching with Moodle

Problem-based learning

Picture of Nissrine Ghannoum
Problem-based learning

Hello , I am a postgrad student doing a research on developing scenarios in problem-based learning using Moodle and I want to experiment in Moodle itself.

1- How to create problem scenarios in Moodle?

2-Moodle tools that support problem-based learning . What are the benefits/liabilities of each ?

3- How to test its effectiveness ?

I get an admin test account .

Appreciate the support.

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: Problem-based learning
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Hello there and good luck with your studies smile Which Moodle activities have you already explored regarding problem based learning (so we don't duplicate what you have already found)?

Hello Mary and Thank you .

I've worked on Moodle Quizz and forum but still puzzled .

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

I think that Problem-based learning is all the activities you tell your students to engage in. Which technology you use to scaffold those activities is largely irrelevant. I heard a good presentation at the last UK MoodleMoot about using simulations in business education, and their top advice to people who wanted to try it was "you need really good story-telling so that students will buy into the scenario". In fact, they had paid a novelist to help them, and they felt that had been a really good investment. Here is the recording of their talk: 

However, you have asked this question at a good time. Right now, there is a 'teaching with Moodle' MOOC going on https://learn.moodle.net. It is short, but will give you a really good overview of how lots of the features of Moodle can be used, and it gives you a change to experience that as a student. I suggest that you sign up. It will probably be some really useful background to your research.

Thank you , Tim. Will follow the links.

paula
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Moodle can be used for all types of teaching including problem based. Perhaps it would be easier for you to begin with a more focused look at what you want to teach

1. Generally what scenario do you want to use? Do you want to introduce with text or videos ( pages, books, lessons)? Personally I prefer a book or lesson to lengthy pages as students can go back more easily to refresh information etc. The book resource has a built in table of contents. 
  2. What kind of projects do you want students do? Group or individually or both? If groups, do you want to keep an eye on the work without others (groups forum with separate groups - individuals wiki with individual settings). If the entire class together a collaborative wiki or a forum. 
  3. Several different kinds of assessment could be done to get different views of the learning:
  • Quizzes for pre and post test on academic information
  • Quizzes can also be set up as rubrics for students to self assess their learning and or participation as well as any presentations they do. 
  • Students journaling their processes can be helpful but an instructor needs to be willing to do a lot of reading. 
  • Project presentations or other products help as well.  These could be text based or video. You could use forum or database activity for students to post to easily allowing other students to read and comment if you like. 

Hope that helps some. 

cool

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

Hello Paula and Thank you for sharing your insights. Very helpful .

What do you think of this strategy If I am to develop scenarios on Moodle following below steps:

Step 1.     Problem introduction: Facilitator: Introduces the problem scenario using a video.

Step 2.     Brainstorm:

Facilitator:

·       Shares Resources (e.g., lessons) for modeling the problem scenario

·       Monitors student participation through tracking data on lesson of how much time was spent on the activity.

·       Provides Feedback on the Forum. 

Students:

·       Select what matches their needs from the digital resources  shared by the facilitator

·       Engage in discussions with their groups via chat and by posting their strategy on the Forum

Step 3: Plan :

Facilitator: Provides Feedback on the Forum. 

Students: Engage in discussion on the Forum.

Step 4- Apply knowledge :

Facilitator: Creates quizzes with Multiple choice questions .  and essay questions that correspond to the stages of the scenario to scaffold the experience for learners

Students: Engage in group discussion on the Forum to answer questions.

Step 5 - Evaluation:

Facilitator : Provides Feedback on Forum

Students:

·       Present their deliverables via Wiki

·       peer-assessment via ??

Many Thanks ,

paula
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Nissrine,

That is a good start to your plan. Are you actually going to build this Moodle course for your project?

A couple of things I would offer some ideas on:

STEP 2

"Select what matches their needs from the digital resources  shared by the facilitator"  Are you going to encourage students to also find their own resources?

CHAT- using the chat if you make a separate one for each group, could be a very good way for students to brainstorm and get their ideas and resources together.  If students in the group can get together at the same time, it is helpful because they can get quick posting so they can keep the conversation going.  If they are working during class time or have a time that they can all work together on it, this is good for the movement of the conversation as there isn't the extended wait of a forum. If they will be working asynchronously you might want to stick with a forum for them to post to and do their conversation. They can post documents, etc. if necessary as well.  

STEP 4

"Facilitator: Creates quizzes with Multiple choice questions .  and essay questions that correspond to the stages of the scenario to scaffold the experience for learners"

Do you think Students could be assigned to create questions as well?  A database activity might work for this.

STEP 5

"Present their deliverables via Wiki"

You will need to play around with the Wiki first so you can show the students how to do the things they need in a text editing box.  Such as they cannot copy and paste images as they would in a word processor. They will have to either have a URL or upload the files.  Also making the Wiki pages is a little different than anything else.  I usually have a book with the How to use a Wiki in my courses. So students have a resource when things don't work they way they think they should.  Wiki's allow for some creativity in the students presentations that other means of presentation may not.  

"peer-assessment via ??"

You might want to check out the Workshop for this. It's a little complex for a first timer but has some real advantages to getting the students to peer assess.  Not always an easy thing to do in some cultures.

Self Assessment-

It is interesting to have a quiz with the self evaluation rubric.  The question is the criteria of the rubric and the answers the levels.  Having them evaluate before they make the presentation and afterward sometimes gives some interesting insight.

You off to a great start. If you have more questions, run into difficulties, etc. be sure and let us know.

cool