No notification bell icon in Essential

No notification bell icon in Essential

by François Lizotte -
Number of replies: 16
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hello,

After upgrading to Moodle 3.2.3, with version 2017021002 of Essential theme, we don't have the new notification bell icon.

I juste browsed the forum and found out that one of Marc Couture's screen capture that the bell is also missing.

I'm borrowing his image here (merci Marc) from this post: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=353478#p1426120

Essential capture

Am I missing something or is it not implemented yet in Essential?

François

Average of ratings: -
In reply to François Lizotte

Re: No notification bell icon in Essential

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear François,

Does updating your Moodle to the same version that Marc is using solve the problem?  How can I replicate the problem please?  I don't know what the notification bell icon is.

G

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by François Lizotte -

Thanks Gareth for your reply.

I'm refering to the notification icon which is a new feature in Moodle 3.2. It is missing from Essential. I'm running 3.2.3.

capture

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi François,

I see.  Looking at the code, Essential has notifications in the messages menu as before and does not separate out the two yet.  This is true of both M3.2 and 3.3 versions.  I may or may not implement this separation.  It is a reasonable amount of work so will need to be added to the 'list'.

Ref: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/issues/832.

Kind regards,

Gareth

by François Lizotte -

Oh I see. I get some notification in Essential, but it looks empty.

Here a side by side comparison. Boost on the left, Essential on the right.

With Essential, I can't click the get the whole notification.

François

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi François,

Fair enough, but Essential has lead the way and had the notifications in a message drop down before Boost even existed.

G

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Blair F. -

Gareth, when you say "messages menu," are you referring to this user menu drop-down?

usermenu

I don't see any notification of new messages, anywhere at all with Essential 3.2.1.2 on Moodle 3.2.3.  I've looked to see if maybe there's a setting I'm missing, but I haven't found anything.  I got my colleague to test, as well, with the same result.

Any chance I could get a screen shot of where I would expect to see this notification?

In reply to Blair F.

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Quote:

Essential has notifications in the messages menu as before
and does not separate out the two yet.

I think this is self explanitory, isn't it?

In reply to Blair F.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Blair F,

No I was referring to the new message mechanism as mentioned in https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/issues/832, however it looks like I forgot to back-port it.  So will be in the next release, probably sometime next month.

G

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Blair F. -

OK, thanks, Gareth. So, just so I'm clear -- there's currently no message notification for 3.2, correct?

In reply to Blair F.

by Gareth J Barnard -

No, in M3.2 the message notifications are in the message menu as before.  And by 'messages menu' I mean the envelope icon.

by Blair F. -

I hope I'm not causing eye rolls or hair pulling (I'm feeling a bit stupid), but the reason I've been so confused is because we're switching from 3.0, and I've never "before" seen a message notification anywhere but as a pop-up, as shown in the image, below. Even now, in our 3.2 test environment, there's absolutely no new message indicator anywhere to be seen.   I've asked my colleague to check and he experiences the same thing. Since I've not seen a clear image of what I should be seeing I just figured we must be looking in the wrong place.

notification popup

In reply to Blair F.

by Blair F. -

UPDATE: OMG, I figured out what was happening! We had some custom CSS that was there to remove the messages drop-down menu because "it wasn't working consistently," (so said the comments)!  That's why I had never seen any other notifications, besides the popup!!  (notice that it's completely missing from the image I posted on my message of Monday, 17 July 2017, 2:26 PM) 

Oh, thank goodness!!

Sorry for all the trouble, folks!

In reply to Blair F.

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Blair, 

Don't worry about it, we all know that Moodle can be very frustrating some times. You are not the first to find CSS that was added and then forgotten about.

Been there, done that. Duh

Anyway, thanks for letting us know you solved the problem!

If you need any more help please feel free to start a new discussion, we will endeavour to help if we can.

Glad too that you have got things working again.

Cheers

Cheers

Mary

by David Edwin -

Hi Gareth

We recently upgraded to Moodle3.2 and are using Essential

Just wondering if the backport of this to Moodle3.2 is still on track for release next month. Please let me know

Thanks very much

Regards
David