3.3 Upgrade fails to load CSS

3.3 Upgrade fails to load CSS

by Emma Richardson -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Attempted a 3.0 to 3.3 upgrade today.  From the get go, even during the upgrade, I lost some of the css.  Upgrade was all just text. Thinking it was just a cache issue, I continued and upgrade finished successfully but no CSS.  After a few reloads, some of the front page did load but I got a lot of text at the top, some strange layout of a corrupted front page in the middle and more text at the bottom.  

I did some searching and looked at the following:

Network tab in Developer tools.  Was throwing a few errors about Google fonts and a couple of blocks.  Removed the blocks so that in the end only had a couple of google fonts errors.

Disabled slash arguments.  Commented out all of my extra css (not very much).

Purged caches - through browser and moodledata folder.  Several times...

Switched themes from Adaptable to Clean and back again.

Turned developer debugging on - nothing major there.  Reference to quickfindlist but that has thrown errors for years but still continues to work and I have it working successfully on multiple 3.3 sites.

Finally, had to roll back to get the site back online.  I have tested this same moodle version (June 16th 3.3 release) on my Mamp server with all the same plugins and Adaptable as theme and there are no issues, so am presuming a server issue.

Interestingly enough, after the roll back, I noticed that all the same errors that I saw in Network tab of developer tools and Source tab are still present so pretty sure they are not the issue.

I just got to the httpd logs which showed nothing at all... a few missing images that are typical for the adaptable theme on every site.  A couple of user session errors but that was it.

Ken, where do I look now??  Or should I think that maybe I have a corrupted moodle download - I am hesitant to try again until I know for sure that I can get it to go through...oh, Centos 6 six server, recently upgraded to PHP 5.6

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Emma Richardson

Re: 3.3 Upgrade fails to load CSS

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

As usual, I can only guess given info provided.    So ... 3.0 to 3.3 skipped 3.1 and 3.2.

I know that you're still using the old method of ftp new code, move old code to .old, copy back in addons/plugins, etc.. .... maybe it's time for git where one could 'march' the site through the intermediate versions ... check for errors ... if errors present, fix them at that version, then next step in the 'march' upwards.

Those plugins you mentioned throwing errors ... previously ... and still in the upgraded version ... some of those might be biting.

So, mind if I PM you?

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Re: 3.3 Upgrade fails to load CSS

by Sophist Sodalis -

I have similar problem.

Try using browser developer functions to see what console errors you get - if it is same as mine you get a problem with /themes/style.php?stuff.

Try opening the failing URL in a separate tab and see what you get.

Depending on the theme I try this with I get either a 500 error or a Stack Trace.

(My help request is at https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=356071 )