Moodle BreadCrumb Trail (How To Edit)??

Moodle BreadCrumb Trail (How To Edit)??

by Breanne Katherine -
Number of replies: 1

Hello,

I am rather new to using Moodle and I need to learn as much as I can, as quickly as possible. I work for an important foundation and have been given access to edit/customize the business site.  I was tasked with figuring out how to edit the breadcrumb navigation trail at the top of the site. It would seem that only some of the breadcrumbs are links (/clickable) while others are not. My employer wishes for me to figure how to remove the non-clickable breadcrumb navigation links, and to keep only the working clickable links.

Is this possible?  If so, could anyone please point me in the right direction as to how this is done? I have spent a lot of time trying to research other forum threads on this topic and various other sites, yet to no avail - I am at a loss and figured I would try my luck posting here to the community. smile

I am using Moodle version 3.1.6 (Build: 20170508) and the Lambda theme. 

Keep in mind, I am unsure how to access the files needed to make any custom edits to this, and am hesitant to do so unless I get detailed instruction, as I don't want to make any accidental coding errors which could jeopardize the integrity of the site. With that in mind, how exactly do I go about doing this and making these custom edits? What do I click on and where do I begin, I am not too savvy on the Moodle lingo quite yet. big grin

Thank you ever so much!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Breanne Katherine

Re: Moodle BreadCrumb Trail (How To Edit)??

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Probably the best thing to do is to learn why some links are clickable and some are not.  Some of this might depend upon your theme, too.  I don't know Lambda.

Typically in Moodle, "topics" are all on one page.  But a topic might contain additional items, such as a quiz, discussion, etc.  On my Moodle (w/Boost), I cannot click on the breadcrumb for the topic because it would take me to the same place as clicking on the course.  There is no webpage for the individual topic.

Yet, it makes sense to show that a particular quiz that you are in came through topic 5 (for example) which is why "topic 5" would show in the breadcrumbs.  So the breadcrumbs are a roadmap, and leaving one off might cause some to not know where they are.

Sure, you could change all of this if you were really good at php programming, but you say that you are not.  So your only method is to find a switch somewhere in Moodle to turn the un-clickable breadcrumb off.  I don't think that there is such a switch.  You should look at your theme settings, however.

Consider installing a local MAMP or LAMP version of Moodle on your computer for experimenting and learning.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)