Show Quiz Description on Question Page

Show Quiz Description on Question Page

by Paul Haydock -
Number of replies: 9

Hey,

I've taken a brief look at the code for the quiz module and it'll take me a while to get my head around it I reckon. 

What I want to change is a couple of things, but one is quite important. I'm using the quiz module to do a reading test, I'm an English language teacher, and I want to display the quiz description box on the page with the questions. Rather than a memory activity, I want the students to read a question and then find the answer in the text.

A minor change, though complex in nature I'd guess, is I'd just like to restyle the appearance of the questions. For example, I'm teaching an IELTS program and two question types we have are multiple choice and form completion. I'd just like to change the appearance a bit so I can represent a set of short answer questions within a form.

I'm not afraid to delve into the code if required, but some pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice. 

Paul

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Haydock

Re: Show Quiz Description on Question Page

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Use the 'Description' question type to show the text on the same page as the questions. https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/Description_question_type

Use the Cloze question type to make a form-filling-in question https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/Embedded_Answers_(Cloze)_question_type

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

If you decide to use the Cloze question type and if you can get additional plugins installed on your instance of Moodle I reccomend you get one or both of these plugins installed as well

https://docs.moodle.org/33/en/Cloze_editor_module

The syntax for Cloze can be complex to learn and those tools make it much easier to use.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Paul Haydock -

Thanks Marcus, I had a brief go at knocking out a form last night but this will help in the long run. 

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Paul Haydock -

Thanks Tim, I was jumping the gun thinking I'd have to delve into code. Help much appreciated

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Andy Anderson -

Thanks, Tim — the Description does what I need. Unfortunately it means duplicating the description from the quiz itself, which should be unnecessary (and is a pain because it requires re-insertion of images). And there is the other issue that occurs when you randomize questions (not in my case, thankfully).

Ideally, I think, there would be a checkbox on the quiz settings itself along the lines of “Display description at the beginning of each page of the quiz.” 

— Andy

In reply to Andy Anderson

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Are description questions not immune to random question ordering?  I would think they should be.  Also, you should be able to duplicate on each page without re-insertion of images using the duplicate question feature.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Andy Anderson -

You’re right, description questions are immune to randomization — I scanned that topic too quickly when searching for the answer to my own question and misunderstood that the person actually wanted to randomize them for some reason.

Anyway, what I’m trying to do is copy the “quiz description”, from the quiz itself, into a “description question”, so that it shows up above the actual questions. I can’t simply duplicate the quiz description, I have to copy and paste it into the description question, and the image links aren’t preserved (I’m working in 3.2).

— Andy

In reply to Andy Anderson

by Mira Vogel -

Hello,

As far as I can tell, the Description questions aren't immune to random ordering but are shuffled along with the other questions if I enable the Shuffle checkbox. I hit 'Start a new preview' a few times and the Description questions moves its order along with the other.

(I'd like mine to remain at the end of a shuffled Quiz to remind students that they need to click 'Submit all and finish'.)

Have others managed to make them immune to randomisation?

Thanks,

Mira

In reply to Mira Vogel

by Mira Vogel -

Ah, I see - put the Description question in a section on its own, and don't check the Shuffle checkbox for that section.

m