Ability for students to refine a response

Ability for students to refine a response

by Matt Andrew -
Number of replies: 7

I want to create an assignment where students work on single answer, adding more information at each stage as they work through stepped content.

In other words, I would for them to be able to read some content, then add some information to the answer field in response, followed by their going to another page with more content, and the answer section on that page includes what they have already answered on the last page, to which they now add more nuance.

I have not been able to find a way to do this. Does anyone know if this is possible? Any help appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Andrew

Re: Ability for students to refine a response

by Christopher Murad -

Hello Matt,

What comes to mind reading this would be the Database Module or the Wiki Module.

I believe you can set both of them up to provide the results you're looking for but maybe not as exact as you described.
The might take a bit of time to setup the way you want but would probably be what I would go to for a start for this.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.

Chris

In reply to Christopher Murad

by Matt Andrew -

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the suggestions. I've ended up being happy with the suggestion of the journal module below, but really appreciate you taking the time to help.

Cheers.

In reply to Matt Andrew

by C Behan -

Hi Matt,

Check out the Journal activity: https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_journal

Catherine

In reply to C Behan

by Matt Andrew -

Hi Catherine,

Thank you for the suggestion. That's very helpful, and with Al's suggestion of additional plugins below it does just what I want.

Cheers.

In reply to Matt Andrew

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Matt,

You can do this with the Journal activity, but but for the additional content you will also need either the Generico filter or PoodLL 3 and it's widgets so you can easily create tabs and tab items to display the content and questions. Just be aware that PoodLL does cost money.

The Journal activity does allow for students to refine their response. Using a Generico tab and tab items filter allows you to cram multiple pages of content and questions into a small space. Each tab then reveals additional content when clicked. Depending on where in Moodle you use tabs, it is amazing what can be included...text, pictures, audio, and video.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Matt Andrew -

Hi Al,

Thank you very much. This is just what I was looking for. Really appreciate you taking the time to provide your expertise.

Cheers.

In reply to Matt Andrew

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Matt,

If you do decide to go the Generico filter route, be sure and check out some of the other filter bundles and ideas in this forum: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=324771

I especially like the username and firstname bundles that let me personalize content and instructions.

I also like to use the Grade Me block along with my own plugin for it that lets me know every time a student has refined a Journal entry and it needs to be regraded.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)