Random Questions from Multiple Chapters - with a fixed ratio.

Random Questions from Multiple Chapters - with a fixed ratio.

by Ray Sun -
Number of replies: 9

For Moodle v 3.3

I have multiple chapters in a specific course. And each chapter has a specific weight in the final assessment. How do I design the final quiz such that it pulls up the correct number of random questions from each chapter.

Example: 

The Course is Mathematics. 

Final quiz is for 10 marks. 

And each question in final quiz has 1 point.

Chapter 1: 40% weight - 4 random questions should appear in final quiz (from a database of 50 questions)

Chapter 2: 30% weight - 3 random questions should appear in final quiz (from database of 30 questions)

Chapter 3: 20% weight - 2 random questions should appear in final quiz (from database of 25 questions)

Chapter 4: 10% wight - 1 random question should appear in final quiz (from database of 20 questions)

All questions are multiple choice - single answer, with 1 point each.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ray Sun

Re: Random Questions from Multiple Chapters - with a fixed ratio.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You just do that.

Organise you question bank with one category of questions for each Chapter of the course. Add 4 random questions from the 'Chapter 1' category. Etc. If you want the overall order to be random, then also turn on 'Shuffle questions' tickbox.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ray Sun -

Hi Tim, Thanks! I will try it out.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ray Sun -

Hi Tim, Thanks! It works - adding random questions from different chapters.

The results are showing up in total for the entire test.

How can I get chapter wise performance analysis?

Example:

Chapter 1 : there were 4 questions - 3 correct, 1 wrong - so result will be 75%

Chapter 2 : there were 2 questions - 1 correct, 1 wrong - so result will be 50%

Chapter 3 : there were 4 questions - 1 correct, 3 wrong - so result will be 25%

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall : there were 10 questions - 5 correct, 5 wrong - so final result will be 50%

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This will help students understand their strengths and weaknesses.

I could not find any way of getting this sort of report. Can you please guide me ?

In reply to Ray Sun

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There is currently no way to get chapter-wise analysis. I would be a nice feature to add to the system.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ray Sun -

There have been plenty of users who have requested for such a feature; and most others will certainly appreciate and welcome such a functionality  - They just don't know that they want it yet ;)

Meanwhile, from another post here, I found this 

https://github.com/MorrisR2/moodle_quiz_categorygrades

If this plugin can be ported from SQL to MySQL, it should work.

In reply to Ray Sun

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Ray,

Currently the problem with porting to MySQL, is that in multiple places the SQL used in that plugin uses stuff that is not currently supported in MySQL, so it would need some/most of the queries rewritten. The problem with that is finding someone with the time and inclination to do so.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Ray Sun -

Hi @Tim Hunt , @AL Rachels

I found this plugin project for the Category-wise grade display, by @Mike Wilson

https://github.com/mike-wilson-uk/moodle-mod_quiz_accessrule_gradebycategory

Looks like this plugin is updated to work till 2.9x and on MySQL. 

So now the challenge would be to get this to run on 3.3x.

In reply to Ray Sun

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I would not want to try to use this plugin due to installation requirements:

• it requires manual changes to core code by applying a patch
  • manually adding default settings to admin menu
  • manually adding category total columns to teacher's quiz overview ("Grades") report
  • adding category total columns to details of past attempts displayed to students (modify your theme)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Ray Sun -

sad So near yet so far... I so desperately need this feature for the Moodle site I have in mind.

I understand your apprehension and agree. 

This plugin will also need me to install the old 2.9+ version and further complicate things.

Would love to see this feature as a regular plugin for 3.3.