Unable to enter more than 100% in Letter Grade boundary

Unable to enter more than 100% in Letter Grade boundary

by Edmund Evangelista -
Number of replies: 5
When I configure the letter grade of my gradebook to  more than 100%, it saves then suddenly disappears. I am a Moodle Administrator and I encounter some faculty having a course total which is more than 100%. I have enabled already in Site Admin the feature "Unlimited  grades", the course total works properly - however, the letter grade is always incorrect because I cannot save any letter grade configuration that is more than 100% in the letter grade boundary. Any help to configure is highly appreciated.

>>Setting up to more than 100%

>>After setting up to more than 100%, AC letter grade is automatically removed in the list

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Edmund Evangelista

Re: Unable to enter more than 100% in Letter Grade boundary

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Edmund,

I think you are confusing total points available with percentage of completion. If I set up a course so that a maximum of 125 points can be scored, and if someone scores all 125 points, then they have scored 100% of the available points and get an A using the the default letter grade setup. If they only score 100 points, then they have scored 80% of the available points and get a B-.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

No, he is trying to set a grade letter for a grade that exceeds 100%.  This is not possible as far as I can tell.  While the majority of the world understands that 100% is the most that can be achieved, the US has this thing called extra credit which allows students to get more than 100%!  This is a strange situation as extra credit is normally used to bring a score up but sometimes our over achiever students do the extra anyway and thus get a grade that exceeds the maximum.  

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Edmund Evangelista -
Thank you Emma. You figured out exactly my query. Unfortunately, extra credit is not a solution to my case. Many of our faculty in the university are configuring their gradebook where their course total sometimes reached until 350%. Their reason, it is easier to adjust up to 30 points in the course total of such setup and it will greatly affect the final grade. 

However, i am not able to go beyond the maximum grade boundary in the letter grade beyond 100%. Hence, i posted this query to know if there are ways to achieve this needs.

In reply to Edmund Evangelista

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

It would require some coding I believe.

If you use natural grading, it is more points based.  Are your teachers not ok with with just using 350 points and then having the gradebook adjust it to normal percentages?  You could turn off the percentage display and at that point, it would have appropriate numbers...

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Edmund Evangelista -
The letter grade equivalent of the course total of all students that appears in the gradebook of all our courses are automatically integrated/migrated to the Student Information System. We don't care how our faculty configured their course total whether it is more than 100% or not. What we care is the letter grade equivalent of the course total as this will be automatically migrated to our SIS via our integrator system.

Those faculty reaching more than 100% course total are using Natural aggregation. However they are required to configure their letter grade properly because this is all that matters. This where they need to enter more than 100% grade boundary for a corresponding letter grade but Moodle does not support it.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)