Teaching with Moodle

Converting Powerpoints

Picture of James Steerpike
Converting Powerpoints

I usually use OpenOffice Impress ( a free alternative to Microsoft's product) for slide presentations in the classroom. While I could save the presentations as a PPT and upload it to Moodle, this depends on students being able to read a PPT on their phones.

I found the best way was to export the presentation to html, a standard feature within OpenOffice. This gives a folder containing files with  html and jpg extensions, each named Img1.jpg,  Img2.jpg etc. I upload all the jpgs to  a folder on my server, something like Images/Week5.

I then create a page in Moodle and link to Img1. I then open the html editor, copy the link as many time as I have slides and change the Image number from 1 to 2, 3  etc. The whole presentation then displays  as  a single page which can be scrolled. Next week is easier - change the image links to Week6 and adjust for the number of sides.

It is important to keep the images small and I was using IrfanView ( another excellent free product) to batch reduce file size to 24KB. Looks like this step could have been done within the OpenOffice conversion.

There is a discussion here using Powerpoint macros and the book import to do something similar. What methods do others use?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Mary Cooch
Re: Converting Powerpoints
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators
The presentation could be saved as a pdf file - most smartphones will read pdfs fairly easily. Alternatively, you could add it to Slideshare?

I am also interested to see the suggestions of others.

Average of ratings: -

Hadn't thought of a PDF. Apache OpenOffice will also export a PPT to PDF in one step.

{Edit} Just tried and the PDF file was large and quite slow downloading. I am sure I could tweak it but PDF files often seem slow  to display. Will check next semester to see if all the student's phones can read a PDF. Mine couldn't - although I am sure I could download an app. Would users know how to or bother?

Slideshare is not an option for some students.

Picture of Visvanath Ratnaweera
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers
I use Libre Office to create PDFs regularly. Never had a problem with bloated PDF files.

My phone had a  major problem about a month ago and I reinstalled the ROM so it was back to original. A PDF  I uploaded as a file to Moodle had to be first downloaded and then my phone could not find an app to open a pdf. It would be easy for me to install another app on my phone but putting another step in the process of reading something is going to discourage some.

Maybe there is a smarter way of using a PDF file. They are certainly easy to make.

Guido
Group Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers
Have a look at the tools from ispringsolutions.com
ISpring flip
Or
ISpring free would solve your PowerPoint upload needs

Picture of AL Rachels
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

I use the Content Pages (mod_icontent) plugin. https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_icontent Lets me make the slide show right in Moodle with the added advantage of being able to include questions and allow students to keep notes and feedback on any given slide. Note: last time I checked, not all question types are supported, but the most common ones are.

So much to learn about Moodle - I can barely use pages and quizzes.....

Could I export the Content Pages so I could show them in class?

Occurs to me I should create the html version on my server and just link to it on a Moodle page. My class machine runs XP and Office 2003 and can choke on Powerpoints - and I sometimes forget my thumbdrive. With a html version I can then use the same file in class and Moodle and can also organize files in folders on a server. This may be better for me than looking for a file under a course topic when creating a new course - at least at my current level of expertise.

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Do you have a whiteboard that has the internet? If so then I wouldn't use Open office at all but make your presentations directly in Moodle, in a book for example, and then you are only doing the work once.

XP. internet Explorer 6. My class computer running the data projector is not quite on the cutting edge and I can not even log in to Moodle with IE6. With another ancient browser Moodle displays but badly. Not at all Moodle's fault but sometimes you have to work with what you got.

Spent two years thinking how great it would be it would  be if every student had a modern computer in class -  before realizing every one of them already had one in their pocket. Now they all run Moodle on their phones but I have not been able to integrate Moodle into class teaching.  I use it for providing notes and homework - but with one successful semester behind me I have plans.

Picture of AL Rachels
Group Core developersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developersGroup Testers

If you have the right kind of connector on your phone, one of the really small, forget the name, HDMI connections you might be able to connect your phone to your projector and use it to display Moodle.

Good suggestion but unfortunately the computer connections are hidden away.

I have also tried using PortableApps which lets me run a portable and modern version of Firefox but this can be very slow on a computer approaching the age of my students. At times it hasn't worked at all - and there is nothing worse for a teacher than realizing  their carefully prepared lesson will not display. Last semester I had no internet at all - and the technicians could not ( or wouldn't fix)  it.

I hate Powerpoint with a passion but it usually works, creating a presentation is fast, and I can convert it into html and post it within about 10 minutes - not long in the context of preparing a lesson. The idea of another copy in bulletproof html even IE6 can read sitting ready on the web is comforting.

Picture of Visvanath Ratnaweera
Hi

You said:
> XP. internet Explorer 6. My class computer running the data projector is not quite on the cutting edge and I can not even log in to Moodle with IE6.

In which planet do you live? That crap is hindering your teaching. Complain to the school administration. With all the work-around you waste time and energy of everybody.

> how great it would be it would be if every student had a modern computer in class

You have to make a distinction between "class" work and home work. If you have the luxury of brick-and-mortar classes, make it for (human) interaction. Computer work off-class.

> I use it for providing notes and homework -

Nothing wrong about it. This is the most common model, often called blended learning.

Picture of C Schipper

The easy way: import it to Google Slides and embed it wherever on Moodle.

Picture of Dave Emsley

I developed a local module for use in Moodle to do this.   It isn't ready for release yet as a lot of it needs manual upload, I haven't yet cracked the methods I need for Moodle.

I have an index.php file in the /local/unitcontent/nameofunit/ folder and put all the exported jpg files into it.  The  index.php file reads all the folder content and puts it out as sequenced images with links as below...

Needs a lot of work to make it a viable plugin for Moodle and I haven't cracked the upload zip, unzip, and collect the file information in Moodle as yet.  Working on it though.

If this looks useful I can let you have a copy.

Dave

Laziness can be a positive attribute. Always looking for an easier solution.