Teaching with Moodle

Converting Powerpoints

Picture of James Steerpike
Converting Powerpoints
Particularly helpful Moodlers

I usually use OpenOffice Impress ( a free alternative to Microsoft's product) for slide presentations in the classroom. While I could save the presentations as a PPT and upload it to Moodle, this depends on students being able to read a PPT on their phones.

I found the best way was to export the presentation to html, a standard feature within OpenOffice. This gives a folder containing files with  html and jpg extensions, each named Img1.jpg,  Img2.jpg etc. I upload all the jpgs to  a folder on my server, something like Images/Week5.

I then create a page in Moodle and link to Img1. I then open the html editor, copy the link as many time as I have slides and change the Image number from 1 to 2, 3  etc. The whole presentation then displays  as  a single page which can be scrolled. Next week is easier - change the image links to Week6 and adjust for the number of sides.

It is important to keep the images small and I was using IrfanView ( another excellent free product) to batch reduce file size to 24KB. Looks like this step could have been done within the OpenOffice conversion.

There is a discussion here using Powerpoint macros and the book import to do something similar. What methods do others use?

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Mary Cooch
Re: Converting Powerpoints
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators
The presentation could be saved as a pdf file - most smartphones will read pdfs fairly easily. Alternatively, you could add it to Slideshare?

I am also interested to see the suggestions of others.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Hadn't thought of a PDF. Apache OpenOffice will also export a PPT to PDF in one step.

{Edit} Just tried and the PDF file was large and quite slow downloading. I am sure I could tweak it but PDF files often seem slow  to display. Will check next semester to see if all the student's phones can read a PDF. Mine couldn't - although I am sure I could download an app. Would users know how to or bother?

Slideshare is not an option for some students.

Picture of Visvanath Ratnaweera
I use Libre Office to create PDFs regularly. Never had a problem with bloated PDF files.

My phone had a  major problem about a month ago and I reinstalled the ROM so it was back to original. A PDF  I uploaded as a file to Moodle had to be first downloaded and then my phone could not find an app to open a pdf. It would be easy for me to install another app on my phone but putting another step in the process of reading something is going to discourage some.

Maybe there is a smarter way of using a PDF file. They are certainly easy to make.

Guido
Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers
Have a look at the tools from ispringsolutions.com
ISpring flip
Or
ISpring free would solve your PowerPoint upload needs

Picture of AL Rachels
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

I use the Content Pages (mod_icontent) plugin. https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_icontent Lets me make the slide show right in Moodle with the added advantage of being able to include questions and allow students to keep notes and feedback on any given slide. Note: last time I checked, not all question types are supported, but the most common ones are.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)

So much to learn about Moodle - I can barely use pages and quizzes.....

Could I export the Content Pages so I could show them in class?

Occurs to me I should create the html version on my server and just link to it on a Moodle page. My class machine runs XP and Office 2003 and can choke on Powerpoints - and I sometimes forget my thumbdrive. With a html version I can then use the same file in class and Moodle and can also organize files in folders on a server. This may be better for me than looking for a file under a course topic when creating a new course - at least at my current level of expertise.

Mary Cooch
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Do you have a whiteboard that has the internet? If so then I wouldn't use Open office at all but make your presentations directly in Moodle, in a book for example, and then you are only doing the work once.

XP. internet Explorer 6. My class computer running the data projector is not quite on the cutting edge and I can not even log in to Moodle with IE6. With another ancient browser Moodle displays but badly. Not at all Moodle's fault but sometimes you have to work with what you got.

Spent two years thinking how great it would be it would  be if every student had a modern computer in class -  before realizing every one of them already had one in their pocket. Now they all run Moodle on their phones but I have not been able to integrate Moodle into class teaching.  I use it for providing notes and homework - but with one successful semester behind me I have plans.

Picture of AL Rachels

If you have the right kind of connector on your phone, one of the really small, forget the name, HDMI connections you might be able to connect your phone to your projector and use it to display Moodle.

Good suggestion but unfortunately the computer connections are hidden away.

I have also tried using PortableApps which lets me run a portable and modern version of Firefox but this can be very slow on a computer approaching the age of my students. At times it hasn't worked at all - and there is nothing worse for a teacher than realizing  their carefully prepared lesson will not display. Last semester I had no internet at all - and the technicians could not ( or wouldn't fix)  it.

I hate Powerpoint with a passion but it usually works, creating a presentation is fast, and I can convert it into html and post it within about 10 minutes - not long in the context of preparing a lesson. The idea of another copy in bulletproof html even IE6 can read sitting ready on the web is comforting.

Hi

You said:
> XP. internet Explorer 6. My class computer running the data projector is not quite on the cutting edge and I can not even log in to Moodle with IE6.

In which planet do you live? That crap is hindering your teaching. Complain to the school administration. With all the work-around you waste time and energy of everybody.

> how great it would be it would be if every student had a modern computer in class

You have to make a distinction between "class" work and home work. If you have the luxury of brick-and-mortar classes, make it for (human) interaction. Computer work off-class.

> I use it for providing notes and homework -

Nothing wrong about it. This is the most common model, often called blended learning.

Picture of Rosan Anros

Hi James,
To add what other told you. You can also Import course data which includes specific activities like a lesson or resources from another course. This is a little bit faster than doing a backup of one course and then a restore by adding data to another course. 

Picture of C Schipper

The easy way: import it to Google Slides and embed it wherever on Moodle.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
Picture of Dave Emsley

I developed a local module for use in Moodle to do this.   It isn't ready for release yet as a lot of it needs manual upload, I haven't yet cracked the methods I need for Moodle.

I have an index.php file in the /local/unitcontent/nameofunit/ folder and put all the exported jpg files into it.  The  index.php file reads all the folder content and puts it out as sequenced images with links as below...

Needs a lot of work to make it a viable plugin for Moodle and I haven't cracked the upload zip, unzip, and collect the file information in Moodle as yet.  Working on it though.

If this looks useful I can let you have a copy.

Dave

Laziness can be a positive attribute. Always looking for an easier solution.

Picture of Les Bell

I also use OpenOffice.org - actually, Libre Office, which seems to have more development going on these days. It has quite powerful features, and when doing presentations with Windows project mode set to extended (i.e. two screens) the presenter screen layout seems better that Powerpoint.

I use Libre Office's "export to PDF" feature, creating a password-protected, signed PDF for upload to Moodle. And I switch the slide master design to a very clean background before printing handouts.

I've been on the lookout for the perfect presentation graphics package for years now. I used to use Lotus Freelance, back in the 90's - it ran rings around Powerpoint back then and could almost still do it today. I use Powerpoint for university work, and can live with it - especially when I want to record a lecture to video, to make up for a lecture cancelled because of a public holiday, etc. - the Camtasia video recording software only supports Powerpoint.

It has long seemed to me that a web browser is the perfect presentation graphics software - you can embed all kinds of graphics, use JavaScript for interactivity, hyperlink for non-linear presentations, etc. - and there have been some attempts like Reveal.js, Deck.js, etc. But they're hard to use unless you natively speak HTML, CSS and JavaScript, and they can't print handouts with nice headers and footers.

The closest to ideal for me so far is Google Slides - it allows collaborative development, interactive presentations with a custom URL where people can post questions, and a "publish to web" option which embeds beautifully into Moodle web pages. However, its presentations do not scale well in the Moodle Mobile app and - a killer - it doesn't print with headers and footers, e.g. copyright statements.

In the end, I haven't found anything that compels me to switch away from Libre Office, so far.

Best,

--- Les

PDFs certainly have their place but they can be a right pain. Most are designed for a A4 page and are either tiny on a mobile screen or need scrolling. Most of my students use a smartphone so this is a problem. One  hack within Libre/Openoffice is to set the font to a gigantic 36 pixels which at least to my old eyes provides a single page readable view on a mobile screen. On the down side, the font looks enormous on a computer monitor. On a Moodle site where students are expected to read I would use html over a PDF format.

For electronic handouts in class, a PDF can be used but I still think the web browser and html is a better option as long as you  encode images directly into your file to allow a single html page to be sent before class. Notes can be sent directly to students over their  Wechat applications, much easier and more flexible than paper handouts and the same html can then be a reference on the Moodle site. I have worked with html for a long time and know it very well.

Powerpoints ( actually I use OpenOffice Presentations) seem to be what I am stuck with in class. I keep trying to escape their rigid format and their incompatibility with everything else. Perhaps a html page for each "slide" is the way out.

Comes down to what you want to do and how long you are prepared to format material.

Of course! PDF was invented for paper (of notorious sizes, called A0, A1, .. or letter), not for the screen. Well, unless you still run a Radius display of bygone times .
wink

It says all - seriously. In case more explanation is needed:
- The "screen" could be something as huge as 100 cm TV screen or a tiny android device

- For them there are a whole lot of formats, in some kind of a markup/markdown language, starting from hypercard https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperCard, with special mention to EPUB https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPUB.

- Those "Powerpoints", I understand that it is the semiliterate way of saying presentation slides, are made for a fixed format, happened to be a horizontal format as opposed to A4, but still for paper. Since the common advice is to use huge fonts, I assume that they remain visible in small devices.

- Yes, there are HTML formats for slides - starting from the rev. E5 http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/s5-intro.html to the current hype reveal.js. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web-based_slideshow.

- "Powerpoints", whether made with the original MS PowerPoint or with Libre Office or any other tool are still pointless. (Search the web for "pointless powerpoint"!)

I have a question though: What is an "electronic handout"? I can't imagine having the electrons in my hand! Or do you mean the modern touch screens. Why don't we invent a new term for them? Here's my take: haptic knowledge, shiny ware, scribble crystal.

Average of ratings: -
on the Great Wall

reveal.js looks interesting.. be a nice plugin for moodle. 

Anyone got it working in a moodle setup?

I am actually looking for a "bootstrap Slide" that works well in lessons so that I can set up a series of photos (could be PPT pages turned to images). 

I have a workaround at the moment but it's not perfect. 

I like Dave Emsley's above but, it is not a plugin as yet. 

H5P is getting there and now that there is nadav - moodle-atto_hvp plugin working.. we are almost there with a good looking way of presentations. 

https://github.com/nadavkav/moodle-atto_hvp

but it can not be inserted into a full lesson as such. i.e halfway down a page. 

I am a little frustrated with it all, as been using Brightsparks LMS in another institution and they have some great tools that can be used to make the lessons look good and be interactive. 

As to pdf's, we have a good thread on it and I am happy with the way I can load in a Google slide from Gdrive and then have the pdf version underneath. 

If you have had troubles with big pdf's the best I have used so far is this site to make them as small as possible. 

https://smallpdf.com/compress-pdf

My go-to pdf program is pdf-exchange. 

Add in xplorer² into the mix and you have some great tools to generate course materials. 

on the Great Wall

Got  reveal.js working.. 

Looks great, just need to size it down a bit and play with it.. 

any quick hints on this? 

my "pop-up width and height controls in "appearance" are greyed out, is there somewhere I have to go to get access to these, a setting in admin?

my mistake at first was loading the file directly to the server and trying to get it to run in a folder activity. 

so it was not linking it together right. 

so by using this thread.. 

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=315056

I was able to get it to work fine.. GREAT!!!!!!

Matt Bury
Particularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Hi Daniell,

I wrote a rudimentary activity module which is basically a wrapper for reveal.js:

https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_revealjs

It's not user-friendly and requires FTP access to upload presentations and media files to /moodledata/repository/revealjs

It includes support for many of the reveal.js plugins.

I hope this helps! smile

on the Great Wall

Matt, 

Great, I have all the necessary requirements to get this to work..

Your link in your Demo is throwing a "Can not find data record in database table course."

Do I have to be logged in to see it?  

I won't hijack this thread with this and move it out. 

But for those that may find this thread go and have a look at how this works, it looks fantasic. 

So between 

Generico (Just filled in most of the templates, wish I had done it a year ago)

Poodll, (My go to Tab maker, thus saves the scroll of death on pages)

bdgrid (can't say enough good things about this one for picture and text placement)

H5P

And with luck this new one.. 

only problem is learning all of this is not letting get enough sleep cool

I would still like to put a call for anyone that has mastered a "iframe" type mini slide that can go in to a lesson page. 

Something that can be sized.. as said above I have been playing with a bit of code 

× <div id="myCarousel" class="carousel slide" data-ride="">
That is almost giving me what I want, I have it working but it is flaky if more than 4 pictures.

Picture of Les Bell

The closest I've got so far to an (easily) embeddable iframe slide deck is using Google Slides, with the "File -> Publish to the web ... -> Embed" option. I've used it directly on a Moodle course page, where it renders nicely in a desktop browser but does not appear at all in the Moodle Mobile app, and also in a page (albeit not a lesson page) where it renders beautifully in a desktop browser but is over-sized in the app. You can tinker with the width and height attributes of the iframe tag to get the appearance you want, but I need to figure out a way of making it responsive or reactive so it automatically resizes for different devices.

--- Les

on the Great Wall

Les, 

Thats a good idea, while I am using Gdrive for the streaming of learning PPT's.. 

I didn't think about using it for small "slide type" inserts within a page. 

Will have to setup a template in a PPT and see how it goes. 

After setting up Matts - mod_revealjs, (Which is magic just waiting to happen)

I also had a play with the following. 

This does give me a slide that is placeable but I am having a little trouble with test boxes on the bottom cutting off, it is coming from their code. I need to spend some time with them and sort it out. 

Long-term through this option is not viable for schools as there is a cost that it will occur for the streaming. While it is fine for Corporate instances,  those on shoestring budgets will find that all these add-ons quickly end up increasing the cost of an instance. 

The other problem is that like any development if it is not kept as a package, then as a developer leaves then the organisation is left with gaps in the tech that has been developed. 

Also, through my research and on my development site, which at the moment I am using M3.2 and Adaptable theme. 

There is already the ability to use :

"HTML for the Carousel in the Moodle 2.9 version of Bootstrapbase themes providing they have jQuery enabled" As quoted from  Mary Evans

The key will be to get the right call sequence going and sizing to be able to use this throughout lesson pages. 

This flows to rich content for the users, shorter pages but engaging them and then using something along the H5P for

"Body of Learning" comprehension. 

Picture of AL Rachels

Hi Daniell,

If you go to the General settings page for the Generico filter, you can increase the number for Template Count. I currently have mine set to 45.

SInce you use both Generico and PodLL, you might want to check out the Snippet tool for the Atto editor. I use it for all those things you can do with bdgrid. For instance, I use Snippet to recreate all the normal slide layout templates available in Power Point and LibreOffice Impress, with just a couple of clicks. Very easy to include some boiler plate text, and even change it just before you insert it to a page. Makes it easy to create a book resource that looks like slides. Also makes it easy to do the same thing on pages using the Content Pages activity.

on the Great Wall

Al, 

Yes agree, the team working on these filters and templates over the last few years have given a treasure trove of quick tools and code snips to be used. 

Honestly, the bdgrid add-in has saved me hours of trying codes for placement of pictures and text across pages. 

As mentioned in the thread, there still needs to be a repository or wiki made up of this code as it seems scattered across multiple threads. 

I  brought into Poodle as its just too good not to use. Plus have now developed books of code that seems to work across both M-3.1 and 3.2

It's still a frustrating process as bootstrap codes (HTML) that may work in one instance won't work on another. Thus the books are proving to be a good way of trial and error. 

Actually, I have been meaning to head to the templates thread and offer up what I have done so far. As feel that it's time I gave back to the community. 

Mind you.. as most well know, there are Gremlins in the code that just pop up and break things.. 

what works one day might not work another. Thus stable coding is what I am trying to achieve. 

So this leads me to Snippet tool for the Atto editor, yes building this. As once code gets tested a few times it goes into a book than into Snippet.

(I haven't mastered making my own templates as yet to be able to drop into Generico filter)

Normal slide layout templates available in Power Point

This sounds interesting, as from what I gather is that you have been able to build "boiler plate templates with placement box's" 

then place these into HTML codes so they drop into the Atto editor with the same look as if in the PPT?

is that correct in my reading?

This interests me as I have just recently acquired some great PPT modern looking templates that set up as lessons would be great. 

I have seen one of the team from the templates thread set up lessons that had a background and looked clean and modern, but I just haven't had time to get that deep into it.

If you get time, your preview is still open.. have a look into 

Learning Moodle\Shared Modulessmile

Picture of AL Rachels

Hi Daniell,

Sorry for the delay in replying...been building a new computer and working on keyboard layouts for MooTYper. "...I gather is that you have been able to build "boiler plate templates with placement box's then place these into HTML codes so they drop into the Atto editor with the same look as if in the PPT?" - Yes, that is exactly what they are. And since each one, except the blank page, has a title, when you select one of the templates to use, it asks you for the title and places it along with the rest of the HTML code.

on the Great Wall

Al, 

Sounds good, will look into it once I settle new migration down.

Between testing in M3.1.1, M3.2.2 and M3.3.2 I am finding my head is swimming in codes.mixed 

thanks for replying back. 

Picture of Les Bell

Nice work, Matt - now I've got no excuse not to dig into reveal.js!

Best,

--- Les

on the Great Wall

Wasn't sure where to post within the Moodle site, so thought I would bring it back in here. 

So Just adding some cool idea's here as this thread has matured somewhat. 

I have been playing with Reveal.js a little now that it has been brought to my attention & I see there are a few sites that use the base code now. 

While doing some research for course materials, I have come across a site that seems to be using the code but wrapped within their player. 

Note: if you go and take a look, I am hesitate to promote such a site as it is is a advertising spider site that is just a front for essay writing. and personally I would not use it as a host for any current educational materials. 

While not turning this in to a discussion on these types of sites, google Slideplayer. 

I do like the way they have done either "Video or Slides" within a tabbed container. 

Ok, more cool stuff.. 

Try embedding this Magazine site in to a link page and see how it looks..

looks fantastic.. Now only if we had the ability to have Slides\PDF's\Books looking like this smile

http://builtoffsite.com.au/issue-01/

on the Great Wall

More tools from MS.. 

this could be what we where looking for.. 

I only just came across it and haven't had time to play.. But it looks promising. 

https://mix.office.com/en-us/Home

on the Great Wall

Sorry for spamming the thread.. didn't get back in time to edit in under 30 mins.. 

Another one.. Works well in iframes

Looks like MS is making a big push here which is good.. 

https://sway.com

Picture of Marcus Green
PDF was designed to preserve the layout and formatting of a document, mainly for printing purposes.. If this is important , it is a good format. They can be produced for any paper size,  A4 is just a common standard in some parts of the world. 

HTML was designed for screen viewing and makes little concession to preserving layout. Things can look wildly different on different screens and browsers. However if the target is browser HTML may be a good choice

Picture of Les Bell

"HTML was designed for screen viewing and makes little concession to preserving layout. Things can look wildly different on different screens and browsers. However if the target is browser HTML may be a good choice"

The S5 package that Visvanath mentions handles this quite nicely using a combination of CSS and Javascript. When I last tinkered with it, it rendered very nicely on a range of browsers, although I admit I haven't tried it on a phone. The big drawback is the lack of a convenient WYSIWYG presentation editor - you have to understand HTML, CSS and JavaScript and edit the raw HTML of your presentation. I can do that, but it's still much less efficient than tools like PowerPoint, Libre Office and Google Slides (I spend a lot of time editing lectures presented with the LaTeX Beamer package, so I do it when I have to!).

For many of us, I think the problem is that we need to have one document do multiple jobs. We need to:

• Present in a face-to-face lecture, with a slideshow to keep us on track and show visual materials
  • Present online, in both webinars and recorded format
  • Allow students to view the material online, either because they missed the lecture or for revision
  • Have that online material render correctly in a desktop/laptop browser, a tablet and a phone screen
  • Print handouts (a more common requirement in commercial training environments than academia) with headers (section names, topics, etc.) and footers (copyright notices, page numbers)
  • Develop material collaboratively with co-lecturers
  • Provide presenter notes so that others can present the material we have written

There is no product that can do all of the above. And a lot of the conventional guidance about presentations is oriented to snazzy and persuasive marketing presentations (e.g. "Presentation Zen") rather than informative teaching presentations (especially in the STEM area).

As an aside, I'm strongly influenced by Edward R. Tufte's philosophy of not trying to replace what should be written, complex material with a bullet-point PowerPoint presentation ("The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint: Pitching Out Corrupts Within", in which he lays at least partial blame for the Columbia disaster on inappropriate use of PowerPoint). I've started to deal with this by hyperlinking my slides (in Libre Office and PDF formats) to more detailed explanations in a Moodle wiki. I also provide wiki links in quiz question feedback to encourage review. The result is fewer and more visually appealing slides.

Sigh. Maybe I'll set a student assignment some time, to write a WYSIWYG presentation editor and presenter that is all HTML and can run in a browser (with presenter notes, next slide preview and a timer on a second display). Now that would really be something!

--- Les

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
Hi Res

Two corrections to my previous post.
- Yes, I meant S5 http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/ (that M5 was a typo)

- When I said "HTML for the screen" meaning HTML in broader sense, I should have also mentioned templates, CSS, JavaScript and many other!

You said:
> The S5 package [...] rendered very nicely on a range of browsers, [...]. The big drawback is the lack of a convenient WYSIWYG presentation editor - you have to understand HTML, CSS and JavaScript and edit the raw HTML of your presentation.

I thought having no GUI is the whole idea. Not to get distracted in presentation details rather concentrate on the structure and content. The framework will look after the design/layout. The same reason for LaTeX, for example. Anyway the discussion GUI or no GUI will take us off topic.

Back to topic, you wrote:
> For many of us, I think the problem is that we need to have one document do multiple jobs. We need to:
> Present in a face-to-face lecture, with a slideshow to keep us on track and show visual materials Present online, in both webinars and recorded format
> Allow students to view the material online,
> ...

I would say, not _one_ document which does all, rather one _source_ document which can be converted to different final formats. That is a much bigger problem than creating screen-only (HTML & Co) documents. If people have given up on that and fall back to Powerpoints, no point in talking about advance work-flows.

So, we meet in "Teaching with Moodle", talking about converting Powerpoints! (to what?)
sad